Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi I'm looking for some insight as a single momma who works on her own vehicle but this one has me stumped and its not getting better! So here's my issue I bought the car about 2 months ago and about 48hrs after buying it as im accelerating the rpms will surge up and down! It did die in the middle of the road other day as I backed out of the drive way. I have taken the throttle body off today and gave it a good cleaning but it really didn't look bad at all but I did get a little but nope still no improvement! Just looking for some help so I dont have to take it to the shop im just not the best with diagnosis kids dad used to do that and now he says he ain't messing with it so here I am!! Thank you a bunch in advance!!

·
Super Moderator
8,038 Posts
Is the CEL on? Even if it isnt, check for codes using a GOOD scan tool that shows all classes of codes (P, C, B and U series codes). Be sure to look for any pending codes.

Many of us use Forscan (free download, runs on a PC, phone, etc) and an ELM327 OBDII interface (around $25 on Ebay or Amazon).

You may get more help posting your problem in the generation 5 and 6 forms (your car is a GEN 6)

·
Super Moderator
8,038 Posts
^^^^ That might work if the Cyclone engines had an IAC, but they dont....... Gen 6 is "drive by wire" with an electronic throttle body.

Reactions: kekaye56 and sheila

·
Registered
95 Posts
hi I'm looking for some insight as a single momma who works on her own vehicle but this one has me stumped and its not getting better! So here's my issue I bought the car about 2 months ago and about 48hrs after buying it as im accelerating the rpms will surge up and down! It did die in the middle of the road other day as I backed out of the drive way. I have taken the throttle body off today and gave it a good cleaning but it really didn't look bad at all but I did get a little but nope still no improvement! Just looking for some help so I dont have to take it to the shop im just not the best with diagnosis kids dad used to do that and now he says he ain't messing with it so here I am!! Thank you a bunch in advance!!
There are several causes that come to mind. One could be the TCM and the ECU is giving or getting bad data with the transmission. If your gears seem to shift fine and you do not have an rpm surge at shift changes, probably not it. Your throttle position sensor could need replacement or calibration, but that will generally throw a code and a check engine light. If you had a scanner and could monitor the fuel trims that will tell you much.
A simple thing would be the remove the MAF and just clean it with MAF cleaner. I would bet it is black on the sensor part and that will cause severe misreads of air/gas ratio. You could have difficulty with the O2 sensors, but again that is the sort of thing that after 2 drive cycles would throw a code and a CEL Again having a scanner that can monitor live data would help. Don't overlook a clogged fuel injector. How much do the rmp's move up and down 300-400 rpm or more than that. Even the torque converter clutch could be locking and unlocking for some reason.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Try cleaning the idle air control valve. it's the silver cylinder bolted to the throttle body. you can clean it with throttle body cleaner. also check codes for a faulty throttle position sensor sensor

·
Super Moderator
8,038 Posts
^^^^^^^ I will say this once again!!!!!>>>>>>> The 2013 Cyclone has an ELECTRONIC THROTTLE BODY. THERE IS NO IAC TO CLEAN!!!!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Try cleaning the idle air control valve. it's the silver cylinder bolted to the throttle body. you can clean it with throttle body cleaner. also check codes for a faulty throttle position sensor sensor
That piece does not exist on that engine. This is a drive by wire car. They do NOT use an IAC valve.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How many miles are on this car?...my 2014 recently started to surge slightly when slowing down (during the down shift) i'm pretty sure mine is transmission related mine has 110,000 miles

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the exact problem, I got a tune up from an auto mechanic that I trust a lot and it still didn’t fix it. This has been a consistent problem for the 2 years I’ve owned it. When going about 30 mph the RPMs jump about 100 up and down. When accelerating somewhat fast it jumps up and down around 300-500 in range. So say 2000-2300 or 1700-2200. And it has only happened to me twice before but if you go in reverse and switch it into drive at the wrong time it will just kill.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts