Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the rpm range for a 3.8. i cant get passed 4k even when in neutral. but the gauge goes to 8 but redlines at 7.???

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
I've been able to get to 5 or 6 myself, (when I lost third gear a few years ago) but I have never hit what felt like a limiter and bounced off of it.

I'm sure the gauge is just poorly designed. If you crank a 3.8 at above 4k for more than 30 seconds or so, I would bet that it might not hold together too well. The heat management on the Essex is pretty pathetic at high loads.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
is there a way to remove that rev limiter. i know there inplace for the safty of my motor, just wondering.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Only with a tuner or chip but this is somehting you really do not want to remove. They have it there to prevent overheating. If you are not moving you will overheat quickly.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
NO, is not because of overheting! You have the fans to cool it off!
Is because in neutral, there is no real load on the engine to limit the rpm and even 1/4 of whole power of the engine can lead to over rev-ing the engine. And the transmission input shaft.
You can damage the engine easy in neutral just because of high rpm's - valve train, camshaft, crankshaft rods, the alternator even...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i wasnt getting at the revs in neutral they it was just an example. it wont go past 4k no matter what.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Is because in neutral, there is no real load on the engine to limit the rpm and even 1/4 of whole power of the engine can lead to over rev-ing the engine. And the transmission input shaft.
You can damage the engine easy in neutral just because of high rpm's - valve train, camshaft, crankshaft rods, the alternator even...
Yep, good way to spin a bearing.

If you want to see whether it will go over the limiter, you could always drop into 2nd at 70mph... (I did this once by accident. :eek: Might have contributed to my trans rebuild several thousand miles later.:()

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that doesnt sound like a plan i am not willing to do. i need my car, its my baby

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
The SHO MTX only use the engine rev limiter of 7k when in neutral and you can rev 7k all day long with no problems. The SHO ATX though has a 4k rev limit in neutral though and the car while moving can go to 7k.

The transmission needs to be moving to pump enough fluid to cool things down. So unless you can explain the difference between the SHO's it is all based on the transmission.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
The automatic transmission pump is working on Neutral too... The oil will flow because of that internal pump. The cooling water flows anyway in the engine.
It is just the fact that you really don't want that pump to move the oil via the open bypass overpressure valve in the transmission (high rpm will make increased pump pressure and is nothing to use that pressure for).
The manual transmission doesn't have those issues.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so what i hearing is (tell me if im wrong) the motor wont go to 7k because the transmission cant 1 keep itself cool enough and 2 it just cant handle the pressure. if so, is there a auto transmission that will bolt up to and work with the essex that can take a beating and still spin tire at the end of the day. i like to race my car (lead foot) and i think the higher rpms will help in that aspect. besides when i rebuild my motor with the strocker kit and the supercharger i what a transmission that wont die when i put the pedle down.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
so what i hearing is (tell me if im wrong) the motor wont go to 7k because the transmission cant 1 keep itself cool enough and 2 it just cant handle the pressure. if so, is there a auto transmission that will bolt up to and work with the essex that can take a beating and still spin tire at the end of the day. i like to race my car (lead foot) and i think the higher rpms will help in that aspect. besides when i rebuild my motor with the strocker kit and the supercharger i what a transmission that wont die when i put the pedle down.
The 4k rev limit is only for when in nuetral. When driving it is another issue.

I am not sure what the rev limit is of the Essex but it might be lower due to being a pushrod. The SHO motor can do 7k all day long no problem and even higher.

You can work to upgrade the transmision and we do have upgraded tranmisions and torque converters: Drivetrain- Auto Transmission - SHO Source

You might want to consider a SHO for raving due to a larger aftermarket, more support and better tuning.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
anyone want to trade a sho for my 92 taurus lx?(doubt it will happen but im willing to try)lol ;)

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Yeah, you might want to start out with a better car if you want to rebuild and race it. :thumb:

Unless you have a compelling sentimental attachment to your car, saving up for a SHO might be better than just throwing money at your LX.

Me, I'm a hopeless case since I can't seem to let go of my wagon.:lol2:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
wagons are cool especially when your get them bodykit-ed and lowered.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts