Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi pros,

I've been dealing with an issue for over 3 weeks now and would appreciate any pointers. The initial symptoms were rough idle at startup and reduced power when driving. Then it threw a P0173 (lean on bank 2). Meter showed LTFT2 running around 19. Did a vacuum leak test and found a leak in Intake Runner Control valve. Replaced gasket, the leak went away. Smoke test showed no more leaks. It felt slightly better in driving but still had rough idle and reduced power.

Then I got a misfire on cyl 6 code the next day. Replaced ignition coil and plugs, and that fixed the power issue. Now after it warms up, the power seems great.

BUT, it still has the rough idle. And today, while pulling out of a parking spot, it stalled in reverse. After a couple unsuccessful attempts to start, it did start and got us home. Tried the reverse at home, and no stall.

It also threw a new code. P0351 - Ignition coil A, Primary/Secondary coil. Freeze frame data also indicated a FUELSYSA OL-FAULT. I am at a complete loss. I have ordered new spark plug wires as well, to see if they are acting up, but they were replaced about 30k miles ago. Also cleaned MAF, IAC and throttle body.

If anyone can point me to what to try next, I would be grateful. Thx!!

·
Super Moderator
7,798 Posts
What brand coil pack did you use? Use ONLY the correct Motorcraft or BWD part. Cheap no name coil packs from the parts store are junk.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Used a Motorcraft coil pack. I have a suspicion this could be the transmission, but still looking for ways to test that out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wait, the 04 Vulcan engine has coil over plugs instead of wires and a pack? If that's the case, simply remove the #6 coil and swap it with another coil, then see if the misfire moves to that cylinder. If it does, you know it's the coil. If not, you might want to test the connector with a multimeter.

·
Registered
30 Posts
^ No ohv Vulcan was equipped with cop. Coil pack and wires.
Actually it seems he made a mistake, because to my knowledge a P0351 is a COP related code. My guess is he must have the DOHC engine, Duratec I think. Clearly neither Vulcan nor OHV, unless I'm just missing something...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry, I may have used the wrong terminology but it is a Vulcan and has coil and wires, and did get a P0351 (pic attached). I did replace the spark plug wires today as I heard what sounded like arcing after startup. So far it has been driving really well, but the CEL is still on with same code. I am guessing it takes a little while for code to disappear.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ok I apologize, the terminology between the 2 throws me off sometimes. I usually call them 'wires and pack' or 'coil overs'. I checked Fords OBD database and found the PIDS and codes. You can likely delete the code with your scanner, but it would be better to disconnect the battery for a few to allow the car to relearn it's idle.

If any codes come back on then let us know.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The car has been running like a champ since yesterday, actually better than it has in years.. I inspected the spark plug cables closely and do not see any cracks etc, but the issue is resolved. I cleared the code yesterday evening, and it has not been clear so far. Thanks everyone!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts