Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 98 Taurus has a few issues, lets star with under the hood, im getting codes p303 <cyl 3 misfire> p301 <cyl 1 miss> p0411 <secondary air flow incorrect, upstream flow detected>and p0171 <too lean bank 1>. car sometimes runs smooth as greased glass other times stumbles as if on its last leg. dose not seem to make a diff if its been running a bit or not totally random. any ideas on that?

second is an odd issue annoying but not fatal, whenever u start the car the clock resets time but not saved stations, the dome light wouldn't go off so i pulled the light out, and randomly it says i have a door ajar. also acts like it is not gonna start then starts just fine <may be a weak starter motor>

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
The lean problem and the misfires are related, probably. It's usually an intake gasket and/or PCV hose leak. The air pump system needs to be examined for the P0411. That could be a failed pump, or leaking hoses, failed flow valve, many things.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Sounds like you have multiple vacuum leaks there. Clogged injector(s) will also throw those codes. The P0411 could also be a failed air pump control relay. It's mounted right next to the air pump, hidden away under the battery tray and ABS unit, if you have ABS. Expensive relay (~$100).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok went tru the vac lines with a fine tooth comb, natta. gonna replace the pcv and run a bottle of seafoam tru it to see if that cleans out a bad injector, any way to test the air pump control relay without buyin a expensive relay? thank for the help so far guys im sure between all of us we will fig this one out :)

·
Registered
23,575 Posts
Swap with another non-critical like relay from the box for testing purposes or grab one from a self service salvage yard.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts