Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Vulcan which has recently developed a somewhat rough idle when initially cranked. After about a mile of driving, it idles OK and continues to do so the rest of the trip. The car has 194K on the odometer. I have run two bottles of fuel system cleaner through the engine with no improvement.

No trouble codes (pending or set). No Check Engine Light.

Any ideas? Intermittent fuel injector? Defective engine temp sensor?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
409 Posts
some background will help. how long since plugs/wires or coil? or any repairs for that matter. i like to think a vacuum leak wouldn't fix itself after running for a little bit, but i have been wrong once.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car is not running rich - no smoke or the typical fuel smell.

Spark plugs, wires (Motorcraft)and fuel filter all were replaced 43K miles ago. This car does not have a coil, per se. The ECT engine temp sensor (OEM Ford 3F1Z-12A648-A) was also replaced around this time.

This car gets a 12 oz bottle of Techron every 3K miles.

·
Registered
9,669 Posts
I have a 2002 Vulcan which has recently developed a somewhat rough idle when initially cranked. After about a mile of driving, it idles OK and continues to do so the rest of the trip. The car has 194K on the odometer. I have run two bottles of fuel system cleaner through the engine with no improvement.

No trouble codes (pending or set). No Check Engine Light.

Any ideas? Intermittent fuel injector? Defective engine temp sensor?

Many thanks.
Watch for blown headgasket letting water in overnight.
Keep an eye on coolant level.

-chart-

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Engine coolant is rock steady. No white exhaust when it is first cranked up either.

I replaced the spark plugs and fuel filter. I checked the resistance of the spark plug wires when I replaced the plugs, and all are normal resistance.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Have you checked for small vaccum leaks?

A power booster slowly going out it MIGHT do it. I have seen it.

The plastic intakes dont flex in cobtracting and expanding the same as the lower intake under it. So after a while if the gaskets been reused a bunch or just old you can get a small vaccume leak there.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was a bad coil pack. I got DTC P0303 and then swapped the sparkplug wires between cylinders 3 and 4 and then I got DTC 0304. Had to be coil related.

Smooth idle all the time now.

·
Registered
9,669 Posts
It was a bad coil pack. I got DTC P0303 and then swapped the sparkplug wires between cylinders 3 and 4 and then I got DTC 0304. Had to be coil related.

Smooth idle all the time now.
Congrats on diag.

Vulcan has coil pack on the front so it is reasonable thing to do.

As opposed to DOHC with it in the back, torx screws rusted in place.

-chart-

1 - 9 of 9 Posts