Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've just bought my second taurus 2003 awesome, I sold my old one 98 to my insisting friend, so far so good, Well, I live in Bahrain, which located in the Persian Gulf, the summer here is really very hot a 47C can fry an egg over a car bonnet. My new Taurus had a defected A/C clutch, so I replaced it and fixed the vacuum leakage, now my Taurus has rough idling when I stop at a traffic light, it just about to stall sometimes, but when I switch of the A/C it idles normally:huh: really frustrating, what do you think the problem could be, and how to sort it out? Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
How many miles? Which engine? Have the plugs, wires, coil ever been replaced?

My guess is a vacuum leak that hasnt set a lean code yet. Use a decent scan tool and look for pending codes, and look at long term fuel trims. Report back with more information.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Everything is a vacuum leak huh jeff ? ;)

I suspect that your IAC is not compensating for the load the A/C compressor is putting on the engine. The IAC can be cleaned out or replaced to remedy the issue, I suggest cleaning out the IAC (Idle Air Control Valve) first.

On a side note check the KAM Fuse (Keep alive memory Fuse) if that goes bad it can cause this issue too.

·
Registered
10,940 Posts
IAC Clean

Everything is a vacuum leak huh jeff ? ;)

I suspect that your IAC is not compensating for the load the A/C compressor is putting on the engine. The IAC can be cleaned out or replaced to remedy the issue, I suggest cleaning out the IAC (Idle Air Control Valve) first.

On a side note check the KAM Fuse (Keep alive memory Fuse) if that goes bad it can cause this issue too.
My '03 Sable was running OK but as maintenance, I cleaned the IAC. Used naptha and a Q-tip. Took maybe a dozen to get the black out. Then blew it out with compressed air to dry any naptha, and any possible strands of fiber.

After, it idled a bit slower, but kept nearly perfect rpm with and without A/C, power steering hard, in gear or out. At an idle in gear, level ground, it barely creeps forward, where it had been moving out a bit quicker before. I am happy with the results. Naptha could not hurt anything. Much like kerosene but dries quicker.

-chart-

·
Registered
94 Posts

i have had the same problem, when my AC compressor died the problem disappeared, so i thought it was from compressor, but when i replaced a new one, it again started. i didnt clean IAC yet, whenever i stop at lights i make it to "N" so it seems fine, but when AC on and on "D" the problem is the same...hope this discussion would help me solving my issue..:)

just see what happens when you make it to "N" when AC is on..

·
Registered
10,940 Posts
Idle speed

i have had the same problem, when my AC compressor died the problem disappeared, so i thought it was from compressor, but when i replaced a new one, it again started. i didnt clean IAC yet, whenever i stop at lights i make it to "N" so it seems fine, but when AC on and on "D" the problem is the same...hope this discussion would help me solving my issue..:)

just see what happens when you make it to "N" when AC is on..
It seems as though, your system is unwilling or unable to adjust the idle speed for engine load. That is what the IAC does. But, it has to have the right information to do that. The system should know when the A/C clutch is engaged, and when you are in gear, and thus try to adjust. But the IAC has to agree.

-chart-

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My guessing was the IAC is need to be cleaned because it has a leakage before thus there may be some dust had gone inside, I will clean it on Sat and let you know, thanks for the help really appreciated.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
The IAC gets dirty with a completely sealed intake system as well, the PCV system pumps crankcase vapors througout the intake system that cause carbon build up. This is why you should clean your throttlebody and IAC every 15 to 30K in any vehicle. The EGR is also a culprit in intake contamination.

·
Registered
538 Posts
My '03 Sable was running OK but as maintenance, I cleaned the IAC. Used naptha and a Q-tip. Took maybe a dozen to get the black out. Then blew it out with compressed air to dry any naptha, and any possible strands of fiber.
LOL, I wasn't anywhere near that careful with mine; I just blasted at it with a can of carburetor cleaner until it was shiny as new, then left it outside to dry for an hour or so and popped it back on.

Only bought me around 100RPM though.

EGR valve is next.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Well, I don't disagree considering I'm generally scared of engine bays, but remember as well that it's called preventive maintenance for a reason. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It works!! Ive cleaned the IAC valve with a contact cleaner and blow it with an air compressor gun, fixed it back, and connected the battery terminal, then went for a ride about half an hour, my engine is idling as it supposed to be, this is my fifth day now and the problem has gone, Im enjoying my AC where outside is 47 c, sorry for the late reply cause I was so busy that time, thanks again for the tips, cheers..

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Glad it worked ! Thanks for the confirmation :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts