Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2000 Ford Taurus SEL with the 24V Duratec engine and the car's check engine light turned on. So what's happening is when I'm sitting at idle (in drive or park) the RPMs drop from 800-900 to 500 to 600 RPMs, but it doesn't always happen. Sometimes the RPMs drop low enough to cause the engine to stall. This happens only while idling. I took my car up to AutoZone and they read the codes and two came out: P0171 and P0174 and the guy says it was running lean as well (whatever that means). I asked him if I needed to replace some sensors and he said that's proabably not the case and he doesn't carry any sensors. How do I fix this problem???

Thanks

G

·
Those codes indicate the car is running lean. My first guess would be a vacuum leak after the mass air flow meter. That would also explain the erratic idle.

What happens is, the vacuum leak causes unmetered air to enter the intake. The car bases how much fuel to dump in on metered air from the mass air flow meter. Vacuum leaks will cause a lean condition, those codes, and erratic idle.z

What I would do is buy a can of spray carb cleaner, and start spraying around the intake, vacuum lines, EGR vavle, idle control motor, etc. to look for a vacuum leak. When the spray hits a leak, the idle will go down, sometimes to the point of stalling. Once you've found the source, repair the problem and disconnect the battery for a minute or so to clear the codes.

Here's a list of things I copied off the service CD, hope it helps!

Induction system

-- Air leaks after the MAF.

-- Vacuum leaks (vacuum lines and gaskets).

-- Restricted air inlet.

-- PCV system.

-- Fuel purge system.

-- Improperly seated engine oil dipstick.

EGR System

-- leaking gasket.

-- Stuck open EGR valve.

-- Leaking diaphragm.

Base engine

-- Oil overfill.

-- Cam timing.

-- Cylinder compression.

-- Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2S(s).

l Check intake air system for leaks, obstructions and damage.

l Check air cleaner element, air cleaner housing for blockage.

l Verify integrity of the PCV system.

l Check for vacuum leaks.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hey quick question did you ever get this figured out? i have what i think is the same problem..when i turn my ac on my car idles a little rough every once in a while..and when the ac is running and i accelerate too hard my ac goes from the console vents to the defroster vents...any ideas will help..i bought a starting fluid can and sprayed but haven't been able to find anything yet..maybe cause i'm inhaling a bunch and getting high in the process... :smiley5:

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Sounds like a funky vacuum leak....

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Originally posted by Sharky8513@Aug 30 2005, 08:32 PM
Hey quick question did you ever get this figured out? i have what i think is the same problem..when i turn my ac on my car idles a little rough every once in a while..and when the ac is running and i accelerate too hard my ac goes from the console vents to the defroster vents...any ideas will help..i bought a starting fluid can and sprayed but haven't been able to find anything yet..maybe cause i'm inhaling a bunch and getting high in the process... :smiley5:
That sounds like a vacuum leak or bad vacuum check valve to the HVAC system... it's designed to blow out the defroster vents by default if there is no vacuum to operate the airflow doors, so that your windshield always stays clear. Check the vacuum lines leading into the passenger compartment by the firewall and under the dash for the check valve... it's probably failed, so that when you stomp on the gas and manifold vacuum drops off, the valve isn't holding vacuum like it's supposed to. I've seen this on a few trucks, but this is the first i've seen on a Taurus.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Originally posted by Nidan+Sep 1 2005, 11:58 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Nidan @ Sep 1 2005, 11:58 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Sharky8513@Aug 30 2005, 08:32 PM
That sounds like a vacuum leak or bad vacuum check valve to the HVAC system... it's designed to blow out the defroster vents by default if there is no vacuum to operate the airflow doors, so that your windshield always stays clear. Check the vacuum lines leading into the passenger compartment by the firewall and under the dash for the check valve... it's probably failed, so that when you stomp on the gas and manifold vacuum drops off, the valve isn't holding vacuum like it's supposed to. I've seen this on a few trucks, but this is the first i've seen on a Taurus. [/b][/quote]
....brr could you go into a little more detail with that? how do i get to it...i tried pulling the fender off the other day but it got dark on me since i started around 6pm it does sound like it's on the passenger side..i hear it constantly wheni open the passenger door or i'm leaning right next to the fender..like in the little gap between the passenger door and fender...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Relays seem to be an issue with the Gen IV. My 2004 Duratec on two occasions (multiple events in 2007 and multiple events just yesterday at 3 or 4 stop lights) has just died as I coasted up to a stoplight. In 2007 the Check Engine light flashed then the entire dash display lit up (as it does on startup) and the engine stopped. This time it was the ABS light followed by a brake failure warning on the LCD display, then the dash display flashed up and the engine stopped. It restarted without a problem and ran just fine so long as the engine was over about 1500 RPM. When I start up this morning, no problem, but I took it to my Ford dealer anyway. Nothing showed up on the computer readouts, but the mechanic was able to replicate the issue by tapping on the EEC relay. Replaced that and the FP relay (whatever that is). Problem solved. You gotta love guys with experience who don't take "no problem" as an answer from the computer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts