Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Vulcan with 105K. The problem is sometimes it runs really rough and stumbles on startup but in a short while it smooths out and runs perfectly. If I shut it off then restart, it will usually run fine. This happens when engine is warm. Any ideas on the cause?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just checked with my code reader, no codes. I started up and ran perfectly this morning. I will clean the IAC and then see how it does. I was thinking maybe the coil set might have an intermittent failure. I hope that if a sensor is failing then a code would be set. If anyone has had this problem and especially found a solution I would really like to hear from you.

As an aside, I replaced the leaking timing cover gasket and timing chain and sprocket set about 1500 miles ago. It is running and idling noticably better since the timing chain had too much play in it. And NO LEAKS!

·
Registered
402 Posts
I just checked with my code reader, no codes. I started up and ran perfectly this morning. I will clean the IAC and then see how it does. I was thinking maybe the coil set might have an intermittent failure. I hope that if a sensor is failing then a code would be set. If anyone has had this problem and especially found a solution I would really like to hear from you.

As an aside, I replaced the leaking timing cover gasket and timing chain and sprocket set about 1500 miles ago. It is running and idling noticably better since the timing chain had too much play in it. And NO LEAKS!
I had a similar issue.

After sitting all night and starting the car in the morning it would idle rough for maybe three or four seconds then smooth out and run fine the rest of the day.

Turned out to be a blown head gasket and cracked head. Good times!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I cleaned the IAC and I believe that was the problem. It has started and run perfectly every time since then. It is my wife's car and she drives it everyday and probably starts it 5 or 6 times a day.

So far so good.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had a similar problem with my old Ro-dahoe. Leaky Fuel injector. God I don't miss that thing!

Good luck with your findings.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had a similar issue.

After sitting all night and starting the car in the morning it would idle rough for maybe three or four seconds then smooth out and run fine the rest of the day.

Not to hijack the thread, but this sounds exactly like what mine is doing. Like it forgets that it is cold and needs high idle. It will lope along for a couple seconds, then it goes to high idle and runs fine.
Starts fine the rest of the time. No CELs. Getting to the point that it barely starts now that it is getting cold.

·
Registered
19 Posts
A guy I work with was telling me the same thing.

I thought about unplugging it to see if it made much difference or changed the behavior

·
Registered
121 Posts
I had a similar issue.

This is what happened to one of mine. 1997 w/85000 miles. It started as a slight idle problem and an occasional misfire. I would never have guessed the head was cracked.

·
Registered
23,405 Posts
Lol, everytime i see jw89shos avatar, i think of that little piss-ant Calvin peeing on the ford blue oval,...... and jw is bitch-slapping that sneer off his face, lol!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I cleaned the IAC and it cleared up the problem.

I didn't think it would be the issue, as I just replaced it last winter/spring, but it must have been gunked up already. Almost as soon as I sprayed some TB cleaner in there I heard it pop free. I worked it back and forth and wiped it out with a rag.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well it has started doing the same thing again. It cranks over fine but will not start, then, after cranking it again, it will start but run VERY roughly for 10 seconds or so and then run smoothly like there was never a problem. No codes show on the code reader.

I want to isolate it to either electrical or fuel. I suspect an electrical problem because it will run perfectly after being rough for a few seconds.

Again, it is a 2000 Vulcan with 108K. Any ideas about where to start?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts