Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Ford Taurus SE, 3.0L Vulcan, AX4N/4F50N transmission
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I had a chance to watch some live fuel trim data this morning. For the most part during my drive, LTFT1 hovered around 0… You can see the max/min markers for LTFT 1 & 2 in the upper right corner of the screenshot that's attached. I noticed that LTFT1 didn't drop to ~0 until the engine reached operating temperature, which is also when I began to feel the random surge/bucking. You can also see that neither LTFT reached the 10% mark mentioned above.

With all this said, does this info give any clues where to go from here in an attempt to resolve this very annoying problem?

I will also double check the condition of my air filter later today as soon as I get a chance, and post my findings.

Thanks so much for all the help you guys have offered. It is very much appreciated! The community here is awesome and extremely knowledgeable!
Speedometer Light Gauge Plant Measuring instrument

·
Registered
372 Posts
What is the R THR parameter?

Just collected some live data from my 2000 Vulcan (60 mph, cruise control ON, A/C off):

PID Parameter Value

03 Fuel System CL
04 LOAD_PCT 25 - 40 %
05 ECT 87 C = 189 F
07 LONGFT1 -1 %
09 LONGFT2 -1 %
0A FRP 275 kPa = 40 PSI
0C RPM 2120 /min
0D VSS 98 km/h = 61 mph
0E SPARKADV #1 42 - 48 %
0F IAT 24 C = 75 F
10 MAF 15 - 21 g/s = 2.0 - 2.8 lb/min
11 TP 22 - 24 %

The values of the Throttle Position vary because of the cruise control. The values of the MAF sensor and calculated LOAD percentage vary too. I assume:
  • You find the same MAF values at 60 mph because that is directly related to the amount of gas used at that speed (if the engine is in Closed Loop).
  • The PCM extrapolates Throttle Position and MAF to what the MAF value would be at Wide Open Throttle and thus guesses the LOAD percentage.
  • I could imagine that when the air filter is blocking the flow, you find a higher TP at the same MAF value, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
What is the R THR parameter?

Just collected some live data from my 2000 Vulcan (60 mph, cruise control ON, A/C off):

PID Parameter Value

03 Fuel System CL
04 LOAD_PCT 25 - 40 %
05 ECT 87 C = 189 F
07 LONGFT1 -1 %
09 LONGFT2 -1 %
0A FRP 275 kPa = 40 PSI
0C RPM 2120 /min
0D VSS 98 km/h = 61 mph
0E SPARKADV #1 42 - 48 %
0F IAT 24 C = 75 F
10 MAF 15 - 21 g/s = 2.0 - 2.8 lb/min
11 TP 22 - 24 %

The values of the Throttle Position vary because of the cruise control. The values of the MAF sensor and calculated LOAD percentage vary too. I assume:
  • You find the same MAF values at 60 mph because that is directly related to the amount of gas used at that speed (if the engine is in Closed Loop).
  • The PCM extrapolates Throttle Position and MAF to what the MAF value would be at Wide Open Throttle and thus guesses the LOAD percentage.
  • I could imagine that when the air filter is blocking the flow, you find a higher TP at the same MAF value, but I'm not sure.
"R THR" Is Relative Throttle Position"

·
Registered
372 Posts
Now that I think about it, I realize I do not understand why MAF and LOAD% would vary so much during cruising at constant speed and RPM.

Chart, do you happen to have a graph of the MAF signal during highway driving? Any engine, not necessarily a Taurus.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I've checked the air filter and it isn't collapsed, although I may change it since it's been in for about 18 months, and nearly 10k miles. I don't recall what the OEM change interval is for the air filter -- 15k maybe??

Edit: With the provided information, can anyone see where I might look from here to resolve this surge/bucking/misfire issue? There are some trips where I don't feel it and some trips where the car runs like --- umm, well, you get the picture.

·
Registered
10,863 Posts
Now that I think about it, I realize I do not understand why MAF and LOAD% would vary so much during cruising at constant speed and RPM.

Chart, do you happen to have a graph of the MAF signal during highway driving? Any engine, not necessarily a Taurus.
PIc. Surprised at how often reach near 100%. In the middle a downshift to gear 3 while going up hill.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Did you ever check your TPS to see if it is noisy. Put a ohm meter on it and rotate it to see if it is linear and no noise or ohms jumping around. The TPS won't cause a rough idle but it will cause a buck. Also have you checked the o ring on the runner valve?
Hood Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Electrical wiring
Automotive tire Bumper Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Rim
Automotive tire Bumper Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Rim

41 - 47 of 47 Posts