Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Ford Taurus SE, 3.0L Vulcan, AX4N/4F50N transmission
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys & gals,

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction here. I've got 2006 Taurus Vulcan that has recently started having issues. Randomly, at highway cruising speeds, light throttle, or cruise control set at ~60 mph, I feel a slight hesitation/bucking that only lasts an extremely short period of time. I ordered a cheap ELM327 Bluetooth scanner, and purchased Torque Pro from the Android Google Play Store. CEL is not on. Torque Pro shows NO active or pending codes. Had the plugs changed around 8 - 10k miles ago (Motorcraft SP-433). Replaced a chirping cam sync & sensor with a NAPA Echlin brand synch & sensor (before reading about issues with non-Motorcraft sync issues on here). I used the Torque Pro app to generate a "Mode $6 Data Report", which I have attached. Note, that this Mode 6 Report was generated while the car was just idling in the driveway for about 10 minutes, if that matters at all.

If there's any additional information that would help point me in the right direction, please let me know and I'll do my best to obtain the needed info.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Usually this points to a spark issue, either carbon tracking on the ceramic, a crack in the insulator, or damage to a wire/the coil pack.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I think the SP-433 is the wrong spark plug because it has a gap of 0.054 (Duratec) in stead of 0.044 (Vulcan).
Perhaps you can check that with a gauge and adjust it a bit.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the SP-433 is the wrong spark plug because it has a gap of 0.054 (Duratec) in stead of 0.044 (Vulcan).
Perhaps you can check that with a gauge and adjust it a bit.
I do believe you are correct here. Advance Auto gave me the wrong plugs.

I did another Mode 6 report with Torque Pro after about a 10-12 mile drive (attached). I've ordered new Autolite Double Plats (APP104), new Motorcraft coil pack, looks like previous owner put some generic pack on it, as well as new wires (Standard Motor Products, Pro series)

Going to have all of this replaced once the parts come in, and hopefully it solves my issues.

Does anyone see anything in the Mode 6 Report other than the misfires? The report from today looks worse than the one from yesterday.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
PIc. I had this happen twice with Autolite plugs. Pic, new MC wires and Autolite plugs. Two plugs carbon tracked.
Not going to be a third time with Autolite.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PIc. I had this happen twice with Autolite plugs. Pic, new MC wires and Autolite plugs. Two plugs carbon tracked.
Not going to be a third time with Autolite.
-chart-
Are Autolite plugs crap? I've read some good things about them on here. Praying 🙏 after I get the new plugs, wires, and coil pack everything will be resolved.... For now at least. 🤔

·
Registered
377 Posts
So with counterfeit spark plugs in circulation, "buying on Amazon" is no longer an option. You have to be sure the seller sourced them from the manufacturer/importer and not anywhere else. I assume the big ones (Autozone, Rockauto, O'Reilly's, Advance, you name them) will be fine.

That Advance sold you the wrong plugs might not be their fault. Rockauto in its catalogue also recommends (wrongly) the SP-433 for your car, but that might very well be Motorcraft's fault. After all, these companies do not determine themselves that the plug fits your car, that is undo-able. They rely on the information they get from the manufacturer. If that is wrong, there is nothing they can do about it. Not even Ford itself. Ford will happily sell you an SP-433 for your 2006 Taurus (see parts.ford.com) while there is no Duratec during 2006 and 2007.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
See pic. Lou can't make this up.
Four plugs right of the box. All same label. Returned.

-chart-
Wow... This kinda makes me wish I had ordered the Champion Double platinum or Iridium that I was originally looking at on Rock Auto before finalizing my order. :unsure:

Edit: Did you get those Autolite plugs from a reputable place?

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Wow... This kinda makes me wish I had ordered the Champion Double platinum or Iridium that I was originally looking at on Rock Auto before finalizing my order. :unsure:

Edit: Did you get those Autolite plugs from a reputable place?
I needed 4 in a real hurry. Pic of plug that was loose in '02 Lin Cont. COP's are put in loose, and an aluminum cover pushes them down, sealed with a gasket. So, the condense water is sealed in for all the plugs in that bank. I got these new plug from a local parts house, back in 2013 so do not remember which. Likely Advance but not sure. They took them back and I got MC plugs in place. I took the rubber boots off the COPS and dried them out, put them back and all was OK.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys for all of your input. Waiting on the plugs, wires, and coil pack to come in from Rock Auto. Once those are replaced, I'll post back with the results.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks guys for all of your input. Waiting on the plugs, wires, and coil pack to come in from Rock Auto. Once those are replaced, I'll post back with the results.
I have a set of autolite DP's in our taurus fior about 25k miles now with no issues. New BW coil pack about the same time...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, I got the new plugs, wires, and coil pack installed yesterday. Seems to run better, and getting slightly better mpg. Still got a random rough idle, but not near as bad as it was. The SP-433 plugs that came out had around 9k miles on them, and the finewire tips were toasted. They looked almost like old standard copper plugs. Hopefully the Autolite double platinum plugs last much longer.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can you post a picture of those SP-433 with 9k miles that came out?
Unfortunately, I've already tossed them out. I'm wondering if my issue might be the aftermarket cam synchronizer from NAPA (Echlin) that was put in before I found out about the issues with non-motorctaft parts.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'd say the PCM would set a DTC if it didn't like the CAM synchronizer signal.
The few misfires in your Report-2 appeared in all cylinders. Are they gone now, with the new plugs, wires and coilpack?
Are the hesitations at 60 mph gone and is the problem now the rough idle only?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'd say the PCM would set a DTC if it didn't like the CAM synchronizer signal.
The few misfires in your Report-2 appeared in all cylinders. Are they gone now, with the new plugs, wires and coilpack?
Are the hesitations at 60 mph gone and is the problem now the rough idle only?
The random hesitation is still present. After having a bit more time to put some miles on. I'll connect my OBD tool and generate a new report as soon as I get a chance, hopefully sometime today.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Perhaps you can also have a look at some live data, both idling and at 60 mph.
It should be something that effects all cylinders at once. So for example the fuel pressure (should be around 275 kPa = 40 PSI).
When was the last time the fuel filter and air filter were changed?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Perhaps you can also have a look at some live data, both idling and at 60 mph.
It should be something that effects all cylinders at once. So for example the fuel pressure (should be around 275 kPa = 40 PSI).
When was the last time the fuel filter and air filter were changed?
I'll try to get a look at some live data. The fuel filter could very well be part of the problem. I've only had the car for a little over 10k miles and it hasn't been changed by me. I'm currently at 155k on the odometer and almost everything I've replaced on the car has been factory... Fuel filter may be factory too.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts