Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

I've got a '94 Sable, 3.0L engine. Recently, I've had a bit of a problem, namely, that it's been idling fairly rough, and seems to sputter or surge at low cruising or under load. At first, it seemed that the problem would dissipate after running the engine for 20 or so minutes.

A few months ago, I replaced the fuel tank. Worked fine, until about a month ago. I tried a bottle of fuel system cleaner, to no avail. I replaced the spark plugs and the fuel filter, which seemed to resolve the problem for a short while, but now it's running rough again.

There's no CEL, so I'm not sure if it's misfiring or anything like that.

Any suggestions?

Er, to clarify, this all started happening after the fuel tank was replaced. As far as I know, it was pretty clean, and the existing fuel pump doesn't seem to make any noise or otherwise be malfunctioning (but I could be wrong).

Also, I've also encountered problems filling the tank, there seems to be splash or overfilling.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Greetings all,

I've got a '94 Sable, 3.0L engine. Recently, I've had a bit of a problem, namely, that it's been idling fairly rough, and seems to sputter or surge at low cruising or under load. At first, it seemed that the problem would dissipate after running the engine for 20 or so minutes.

A few months ago, I replaced the fuel tank. Worked fine, until about a month ago. I tried a bottle of fuel system cleaner, to no avail. I replaced the spark plugs and the fuel filter, which seemed to resolve the problem for a short while, but now it's running rough again.

There's no CEL, so I'm not sure if it's misfiring or anything like that.

Any suggestions?

Er, to clarify, this all started happening after the fuel tank was replaced. As far as I know, it was pretty clean, and the existing fuel pump doesn't seem to make any noise or otherwise be malfunctioning (but I could be wrong).

Also, I've also encountered problems filling the tank, there seems to be splash or overfilling.
[/b]
Have you checked the vapor canister? Maybe the purge solenoid is stuck closed or a line/vent tube is blocked

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you checked the vapor canister? Maybe the purge solenoid is stuck closed or a line/vent tube is blocked
[/b]
Haven't checked that yet, from some of the symptoms, it sounds like may very well be that kind of issue.

Of course, I'm still kinda new to working on cars and all. How would I go about checking/fixing that sort of thing?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts