Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Sable GS which has been running great until now. When at a stoplight it will idle rough, continuously dropping from 1000-500rpm then back up to 1000 and down to 500 and so on. Also at random my dash lights will will completley go out aside from both turn signal lights which don't blink but rather just stay on along with the CEL. What might be wrong, any help will be greatly appreciated?

·
Registered
23,355 Posts
When idle is acting up, might tap on iac with screwdriver handle end to see if it clears up. If so, remove iac and clean it with tb spray cleaner or replace.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The onlywarnings I'm seeing is the low coolant light, which has been on for the better part of a year. Had it check and they said it was just a bad sensor.

·
Registered
75 Posts
When idle is acting up, might tap on iac with screwdriver handle end to see if it clears up. If so, remove iac and clean it with tb spray cleaner or replace.
I have this same problem with my 2000 Taurus SEL (Duratec) and I replaced the IAC with a brand new aftermarket unit and it still does the same thing but only when the temp gauge is below the half mark. Especially worse when starting the car in the morning when it's stone cold. Once the car has been driven for a while it stabilizes and idles at a steady 900 rpm. When it's cold it wants to stall out when I'm coming to a stop. I'm thinking possibly a defective new IAC?? What else could it be?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
You sound like you have a vaccum leak 96tec.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You sound like you have a vaccum leak 96tec.
I noticed that the PCV hose was hardened and had cracks in it so got that and the PCV valve replaced today. I'll be able to see if it made a difference when I start it in the cold tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have this same problem with my 2000 SEL. I just replaced the IAC last week and it didn't change a thing. Then I put in a new PCV valve and hose which also didn't do anything. So far what we've found today is an intake manifold leak causing a vacuum leak. One way to test this is with the car running, use a propane can and direct it around the intake and see if the idle picks up.

It looks like it's leaking more out of the lower intake manifold gaskets than the upper but I decided to change all of them. Gonna start the car tomorrow morning and see if the problem persists. It only happens when the car is cold and goes away once it's been driven for a while but it's real annoying when first starting the car when the engine is stone cold.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts