Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

A few weeks ago my taurus started idling rough in the morning when it was cold. It would only last a few minutes, then smooth out as the engine warmed. It has gotten steadily worse. Searching the forums, I decided I must have a vacuum leak. Pulled the upper & lower intakes, replaced one hose which was cracked (the others all looked fine, even that pesky pvc elbow...) and replaced the intake seals (upper and lower). Figured while I had it apart, I'd go ahead and do the plugs. 4 of them were corroded (threads and the top of the plug). The other two were dripping oil. One had oil and coolant in the recess. All had lovely powdery grey electrodes. Now, this was my dad's car, and the low coolant light has been on for two years. Didn't matter how much coolant was in the overflow, the light was still on. I figured it was a sensor. Then I started driving it. Put a gallon of coolant into it. Cannot find a leak. Also, since it started running rough, I'm losing oil. Again, cannot find a leak. So...which gasket's blown? Head? Valve cover? Both? Any help you guys can give will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hello all!

A few weeks ago my taurus started idling rough in the morning when it was cold. It would only last a few minutes, then smooth out as the engine warmed. It has gotten steadily worse. Searching the forums, I decided I must have a vacuum leak. Pulled the upper & lower intakes, replaced one hose which was cracked (the others all looked fine, even that pesky pvc elbow...) and replaced the intake seals (upper and lower). Figured while I had it apart, I'd go ahead and do the plugs. 4 of them were corroded (threads and the top of the plug). The other two were dripping oil. One had oil and coolant in the recess. All had lovely powdery grey electrodes. Now, this was my dad's car, and the low coolant light has been on for two years. Didn't matter how much coolant was in the overflow, the light was still on. I figured it was a sensor. Then I started driving it. Put a gallon of coolant into it. Cannot find a leak. Also, since it started running rough, I'm losing oil. Again, cannot find a leak. So...which gasket's blown? Head? Valve cover? Both? Any help you guys can give will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
bad egr sensors, bad rings....

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Check the valve pan gasket for the oil leaking into the recess. The oil and coolant in the recess will short out the plug and it will not fire properly which would give you a rough idle and miss.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay! Thanks for the responses. Picked up the valve cover set and the egr valve. Got the front valve cover loose. Now I just have to figure out how to get it clear of the wiring harness. Apparently Ford used it to hold the engine in place:lol2:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
How in the world is there coolant in the plug hole recess...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Installed valve cover gaskets and new egr valve. Got in, turned the key, and....wont start:curse: Guess it's back to the drawing board.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Pressure test the cooling system. This whole story sounds bad.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, Figured out why it wouldn't start. Would you believe that forgetting to plug the front 3 coil packs back in will cause issues? :banghead: Oops. So, got it started. Still idle's rough, but now it doesn't matter if it's warm or not. Kinda surges. Also, throttle seems to be sticking open. Really fun on the expressway. Next, I'm going to thoroughly clean the tb, maf, and iac valve. Hopefully, that smooths her out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.