Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 97 Taurus GL. I started it up this afternoon, it ran rough, and the "service engine soon" annunciator was flashing. I shut it down and restarted a couple of times and experienced the same symptoms. I hobbled it home from work, shut it down, and shortly thereafter noticed my garage with filled with exhaust fumes.

Any suggestions as to what might be the culprit? The car has a little over 181,000 miles on it. The "service engine soon" annuciator has been illuminated for several years now, but have always been told by maintenance techs that it's the EGR valve (?) and it's no big deal. Could it be a big deal now?

Thanks.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have a 97 Taurus GL. I started it up this afternoon, it ran rough, and the "service engine soon" annunciator was flashing. I shut it down and restarted a couple of times and experienced the same symptoms. I hobbled it home from work, shut it down, and shortly thereafter noticed my garage with filled with exhaust fumes.

Any suggestions as to what might be the culprit? The car has a little over 181,000 miles on it. The "service engine soon" annuciator has been illuminated for several years now, but have always been told by maintenance techs that it's the EGR valve (?) and it's no big deal. Could it be a big deal now?

Thanks.
Flashing SES light means that you have a misfire, driving it that way will, if it already hasn't, ruin your catalytic converters.

·
Registered
23,812 Posts
^+1. Need to get codes read (free @ az or most parts stores if you dont have a scanner (reader)) to determine which cylinder(s) is affected. From there i would check plugs, wires and coil(s) in that order. Egr code is prob. telling you car needs a new dpfe (egr pressure sensor). Po401?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.