Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 97 Taurus started driving really rough a couple of days ago. The problem only occurs when the car is actually driving, and the engine performs fine when the car is in park or neutral. When I take off, if I give the car anything more than 1/4 open throttle then the car starts to shake and jerk back and forth. It feels like the engine is performing fine, but the power is not being transfered to the wheels properly and I can easily feel this through the gas pedal. When this happens, if I back off on the throttle and just feather it then the problem stops and it runs normal. However, if I continue to keep my foot on the gas with the same amount of pressure or more, the problem gets worse. It will continue to drive very sluggish causing the car to shake. When the car is chugging, the engine revs up and down slightly. If I continue to drive for more than 3 or 4 seconds when this is happening, the SES light immediately comes on and begins to flash. When it is driving like this, the car shifts very late and the engine will reach 4,500 rpm before it shifts.

Unfortunately my schedule has not allowed me to take the car to AutoZone to get the code read. I'm not entirely sure if the code reading will be completely accurate because the SES light has a habit of coming on for a couple days and then going off for a few weeks.

I had to replace the oil pan gasket about a month ago. When it was serviced then, I asked my mechanic to inspect the car to see if it was worth it in his opinion to repair it. He informed me that he did not notice anything wrong with the car other than normal wear and tear. After the repair, the car ran strong for several weeks up until now.

My first thought is that it is a problem with the torque converter or the transmission. I checked the trans fluid today, and it registered at full level. If anyone has experienced a similar situation or has any idea of what could be wrong with the car, please let me know.

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
138 Posts
Flashing SES indicates a potentially catalyst damaging misfire. Check to see what shape your plugs and wires are in. When is the last time the fuel filter was changed ? Any obvious vacuum leaks ? Hoses loose or otherwise ?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know that a flashing SES is never good, but what do you mean by a "potentially catalyst damaging misfire." I tried to check the car over pretty good, so did a couple other people. We didn't see anything that was loose or leaking.

I haven't changed the fuel filter since I got the car. I had my brother check the plugs and wires about 2 months ago, he said the plugs were starting to show some wear but nothing too bad. Could a bad fuel filter cause this?

·
Registered
138 Posts
By damaging misfire, the unburned air/fuel goes straight into the heated cat and burns there rather than in the cyl. Assuming fuel is getting there in the first place. The cats cant handle burning large amounts of fuel and begin to melt internally in short order. The ECU will try to alert the driver of this condition by flashing the SES light.

A plugged fuel filter can cause low fuel pressure at the injectors and would cause the engine to be starved of fuel at higher loads causing a misfire.

Any cracks on the coil pack ?

Also, since this is only occurring when under a load, and you don't know when the fuel filter was replaced last, i would go ahead and have it changed and see if things improve.

·
Registered
23,350 Posts
Get the codes read for free at autozone and report back with the number(s). I would change fuel and air filters if needed, then check/replace plugs, wires and coil in that order. My money is on the coil pack.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts