Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See this thread for my forum introduction:
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/104...rus-owner-rarely-driven-1989-ford-taurus.html

I have recently flushed the transmission fluid, installed a new gasket, new filter, and even installed a transmission cooler as I have read that these transmission just die at 60,000 miles if not cared for. Well this car has 33,000 original miles and under certain conditions it has a rough or bump 1 - 2 shift, it does not make a sound or any other noticeable feeling in any of the other gears, not on down shifting from 2-1 either. It is interesting to note that I can completely, COMPLETELY avoid the harsh 1st upshift by simply lifting off the throttle right before its shifting. You can feel when its about to shift because it slows for a second then bumps, but if I simply lift slightly off the gas it shifts completely smoothly and wonderfully, so to me this issue seems throttle related although automatic transmissions are a complete mystery to me as I am only used to manuals and clutchs. This car has many original parts so it possible that the culprit could be an old part or out of adjustment, I am not going to simply replace teh transmission over this little thing because its perfect in every other operation relating to the transmission just that odd 1-2 shift.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh yes, the idle is quite has is it will pull up a hill on its own idle power so that could be the culprit however I can find out how to set the idle speed! How do I hook a tacometer to this car lol :)

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
Idle speed is not adjustable. It is controlled by the PCM. First remove and clean or replace the IAC valve. Also check for vacuum leaks and run the complete PCM self test (KOEO, CM and KOER tests).

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
I had a similar problem on my 97. out of the blue I got a harsh 1 - 2 shift. I replaced the throttle position sensor and the problem completely went away. Given that you can cause it to shift normally if you lift the throttle this sounds like a plausible solution.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
The car may only have 33k on it, but the transmission is still 22 years old. I would think that the o-rings in the valve body are just feeling their age.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts