Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've had this happen a few times in this car already.I've searched and searched but nothing.Atleast nothing to my satisfaction.Soooooo here goes lol.I went to pick up my daughter tonight and on my way to her place I noticed a weird smell a few times when pulling away from a stop light or something,but didn't think anything of it.Until........I went WOT passing a jerkoff who was doing 55km in a 100 zone.The smell was HORRIBLE!!!! What could make that awful disgusting smell and why are we even near anything that would make that smell?I immediately pulled over to the shoulder to see what was wrong.Wouldn't you know it .The guy I had just passed pulled up and stopped.He gets out of his car and right off the hop he noticed the disgusting stench as well.He told me he originally stopped to see if I had blown my engine lol.He said I kind of startled him passing at that rate of speed.He never would've thought that a Taurus wagon could go that fast. Etc etc etc bla bla bla lol.So basically what can cause that problem.Is it really the cat or cats going bad?
Thanks guys any help to get rid of the smell will be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Pending codes?

·
Registered
388 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
Bad cat's, and an exhaust leak.
[/b]
:rofl2: :rofl2: The smell was there before the exhaust leak was created lol.Just not as horrible as it was today.
[/b][/quote]

Laugh all you want bro' your still the one who's gonna pay $375 min for a new y pipe and cats ;)
Cause' thats your smell.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
:rofl2: :rofl2: The smell was there before the exhaust leak was created lol.Just not as horrible as it was today.
[/b][/quote]

Laugh all you want bro' your still the one who's gonna pay $375 min for a new y pipe and cats ;)
Cause' thats your smell.[/b][/quote]

Not laughing at the fact that I'm gonna have to pay 375.I'm laughing at the fact you mentioned the exhaust leak.The good thing is I won't have to pay that much.I have a jy in the family(gf's family) and access to all their tools. I'm a welder by trade so no problem there either.

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
[/b][/quote]

Cause' thats your smell.[/b][/quote]

Not laughing at the fact that I'm gonna have to pay 375.I'm laughing at the fact you mentioned the exhaust leak.The good thing is I won't have to pay that much.I have a jy in the family(gf's family) and access to all their tools. I'm a welder by trade so no problem there either. [/b][/quote]

I would personally never install a used Cat on my car. Just break down and buy one of the new Y-pipes w/ cats offered. Any way, I thought it was illegal to sell used Cats? Plus, think about it like this - you buy the new y-pipe and sell the old y-pipe to scrap and recoup some of your losses.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I live in Canada.The US laws don't affect me.Even if it was law here.Who could say anything anyways I'd be getting the parts under the table lol.Her cousin owns a parts store too so away I go to get the parts I guess.
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
712 Posts
When I was a kid our family full size GMC van would do that smell everytime it was floored. Did it from day one and was still doing it at 300,000kms when it went to the scrap yard.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Rotten egg smell can also be caused by it running too rich. Unburned fuel in the exhaust can cause that smell.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I thought this was a federal law, but I know it at least applies in Texas.... a junkyard cannot sell used catalytic converters.
[/b]
I haven't read the law in many years but I seem to remember that the law prohibits selling of used CATS, but nothing prohibiting an owner of vehicles swapping Cats from one car to another.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Rotten egg smell can also be caused by it running too rich. Unburned fuel in the exhaust can cause that smell.
[/b]

Some times it is the actual gas too.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
My old 99 Nissan Quest did it on occasion, never had a problem. Gosh I miss it... :(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts