Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
96 Taurus GL. Changed my front pads (ceramic) today and rotors a couple of months ago. I lubed the slide pins. Bled lines while pressing back calipers. Just took for test drive and rotors seem to be very hot. As in touched rotors with back of finger and now have a small blister. Worked them pretty hard on test drive. They also smelled a bit but I thought perhaps normal on break-in? How hot do rotos normally get? Perhaps my caliper may be sticking but feel it odd that both would go at the same time.

·
Registered
23,352 Posts
May be normal, or sticking calipers, internally collapsing rubber hoses or slide pins needing lubed with anti-seize. I would watch for abnormal wear and sounds. Extreme heats not good on the wheel bearings.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Brakes under normal use get quite hot. All off the momentum the car has is turned into heat when you apply the brakes.
Now unless you're turning the rotors blue or smoking all over the place, its nothing much to worry about. Usually you can smell when the brakes are TOO hot. Not a pleasant smell.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
185 is pretty hot.....definitely hot enough that one shouldn't be touching a rotor after a bunch of braking. I'll assume its ok for now....I jacked up a wheel and it seemed to spin just fine so I'll assume calipers are not sticking and hose is fine at this point. thanks for the quick responses.

·
Registered
402 Posts
They smell and may smoke a little during break in. That's normal.

Brakes can get VERY hot before they start to fade. Your rotors will begin to glow when they get that hot. You'd have more than a blister if you touched metal that hot..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts