Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always changed my own front brakes on my old 95 Taurus, now I have an '01 that needs rotors changed (warped). I went to Auto Zone and picked up some rotors, went home and could not get the old rotors off!

On my 95 there were free-floating rotors, just slipped right off after I took the caliper assembly off. Are the Gen4 rotors pressed on or something?

Thanks in advance...

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Originally posted by HueyStLoui@Sep 13 2004, 12:32 PM
I always changed my own front brakes on my old 95 Taurus, now I have an '01 that needs rotors changed (warped). I went to Auto Zone and picked up some rotors, went home and could not get the old rotors off!

On my 95 there were free-floating rotors, just slipped right off after I took the caliper assembly off. Are the Gen4 rotors pressed on or something?

Thanks in advance...
Should just slip off after removing the caliper. May have a retaining washer on one or more of the lugs. My 00 came right off.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It had two retaining washers that I removed, but still would not budge - seems to be pressed onto the hub. I did some non-Taurus specific reading and found that some rotors need to be knocked off with a slam-hammer. The new rotor has a lip on it's inner edge that may indicate it is pressed on slightly.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I just replaced both front rotors on my 01 yesterday. Basicly all that is keeping them on there is a bit of surface rust. Take a rubber mallet or an easy hand with a sledge hammer and knock them off. I know it sounds barbaric but it works. Hope this helps.....

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I will give it another try - I used a rubber mallet to no avail last time. I banged it with a sledge hammer a few time and it did not budge. Wow does that rotor ring loud when hit with a sledge hammer. I think I'll just spend the $10 per rotor and let the local shop swap them out :s

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
There might be some thin steel nuts holding the rotors on. A while back I did some front brake work on my father's 99 Sable and there were two or three of these things holding each of the rotors on. Sometimes they will come off by turning counterclockwise, sometimes you have to cut them (the thin steel nuts) with wire cutters or pry them off.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
I changed the rotors on my 01 a few months ago and had the same problem. Took out the washer and they still wouldn't budge. Tried hitting it a little with the socket wrench but it didn't do any good. Took a piece of wood that was meant for the fireplace and just let it rip, after a couple of good wacks, it came free. Same deal on the other side. You either need to hit harder with the mallet or get a bigger piece of wood and swing away.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
If they are the original factory rotors, you may need to remove the small washers that the plant attaches to the wheel studs. These do not need to be replaced, their main function is to keep the rotors seated during the assembly process.

In some cases they may freeze to the studs, but the rotor should come free after removal.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys! I successfully changed the rotors yesterday. Just took some very hard hits with the rubber mallet to break the rotors loose. Like you said, just surface rust holding them in place (and the original retaining clips on two of the studs).

Now the next step - how hard is it to do the rear shoes? I've always done the fronts - but not the rear. I already have the shoes, but are there special tools or anything involved?

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
I haven't tackled any Taurus drum brakes as of yet, but from my experience with other cars, you will proably need a return spring remove/install tool along with one for the shoe retaining springs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I REPLACED THE REAR SHOES AND HARDWARE AT 60 000 ON MY DURATEC 2000.
SOME BRAKE TOOLS WOULD BE HELPFUL BUT NOT NEEDED. GOT MY PARTS FROM PEP BOYS, SINCE AUTOZONE SELLS CRAPPY PARTS THAT YOU STILL HAVE TO PUT TOGETHER...AUTOZONE SELLS CHEAP PARTS, ALL I GO THERE FOR NOW ARE FOR FLUIDS AND THATS IT...

FRONT ROTORS ARE FROM PEPBOYS ALONG WITH CERAMIC PADS. NOT A BIG FAN OF CERAMICS. THEY CANT STOP FOR NOTHING...

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Originally posted by FORDFAN5240@Oct 8 2004, 12:53 AM
I REPLACED THE REAR SHOES AND HARDWARE AT 60 000 ON MY DURATEC 2000.
SOME BRAKE TOOLS WOULD BE HELPFUL BUT NOT NEEDED. GOT MY PARTS FROM PEP BOYS, SINCE AUTOZONE SELLS CRAPPY PARTS THAT YOU STILL HAVE TO PUT TOGETHER...AUTOZONE SELLS CHEAP PARTS, ALL I GO THERE FOR NOW ARE FOR FLUIDS AND THATS IT...

FRONT ROTORS ARE FROM PEPBOYS ALONG WITH CERAMIC PADS. NOT A BIG FAN OF CERAMICS. THEY CANT STOP FOR NOTHING...
WHY ARE YOU YELLING!

MIKE
B)

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Kinda sad because some of the SAME suppliers sell to Autozone, Pep Boys, Discount, and my friend mechanic shop. You are very uninformed if you think that one discount parts place is better than the other.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts