Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i understand this is total rice and i dont care one way or another, hence it is under aesthetics. Just wanted to throw that out there.

now, onto topic, has this been done before? if so what were the procedures?

in terms of what kind of spoiler im talking about, the best decribed one is this one at this link

Z-1 Performance Automotive Services Inc. - Blacktop Aero STi Type Roof Spoiler

notice on how it is a 3 piece set? one would think that it will mount where possible on the roof where the glass meets however the blade can only be so wide.

yes, i am willing/prepared to drill holes out for this to work, however i will not be oppose to the idea of using a roof lip and using strong double sided tape to hold it in-place.

insights? thoughts?

thank you

·
Registered
701 Posts
Thoughts: Why?

Insights: Ricer does not equal aesthetically pleasing.

The only thing this will add to your car is a set of holes in your roof/c-pillars. But, it's your car so do what you must.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is true, rice does not mean nice, but rice does not mean bad. The way i see it is how u cook the rice that makes it taste good.

But instead of bashing, how bout equal alternatives? cause i have been reconsidering the whole piller drilling idea...

·
Registered
60 Posts
I don't think there are many alternatives. The only way to affix something to a car that will take 70+ MPH wind is by screwing it in. I've never heard of tape that is that hard core.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
I guess I am wondering why? It wont give any performance benefit and well it will just look funny on the Taurus.

Tape wont work. I wouldn't glue it either seems a cheap way and a ghetto way to mount it.

·
Registered
374 Posts
You want to spend $300 on a spoiler that doesn't even look good on the original application in which it came from?

·
Registered
260 Posts
do whatever you want to your car man. its your means of expressing your style. I have orange brake calipers and drums on my taurus with black rims and blacked out car. I myself want to get a low profile spoiler to put on the trunk lid. Dont really care about the performance part of it just as long as it looks good IN MY EYES thats all that matters.

But on that note the only way that that spoiler will stay in place at higher speeds would be screwing it to the piller.

Im assuming this is made out of fiberglass, it is possible to fiberglass it the the car but would require you to strip down the paint around the area and have it repainted when finished. it all deoends really on how indepth you want to get with it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hrm, so far dieselman has the only productive thing to say...

...now, on the case in question, how are these other cars having it mounted? As i said, im prepared to drill the holes... but, now, i rather not due to the amount of work i'd have to do along with if i ever decided to remove the application.

ofcourse, the main pic was only merely an ideal pic. it does not have to be that spoiler in specific.

another example would be this pic from an Audi forum
New Product **- DEVAL CARBON FIBER ROOF SPOILER **- Audi A4 & S4 (B6/ B7)

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
do whatever you want to your car man. its your means of expressing your style. I have orange brake calipers and drums on my taurus with black rims and blacked out car. I myself want to get a low profile spoiler to put on the trunk lid. Dont really care about the performance part of it just as long as it looks good IN MY EYES thats all that matters.

But on that note the only way that that spoiler will stay in place at higher speeds would be screwing it to the piller.

Im assuming this is made out of fiberglass, it is possible to fiberglass it the the car but would require you to strip down the paint around the area and have it repainted when finished. it all deoends really on how indepth you want to get with it.
Come on guys............. same old thing. I have to agree with diesel..., He is asking for an opinion. Taste and looks are on the eye of the holder, why is that so difficult to understand? He likes the spoiler and he is ONLY asking what is the best way to attach it to the car.

My 2 cents..... I talked to someone I know who works with this stuff and he stated that will probably will go both ways; a screw or two and a double side commercial tape.

Comment about that particular type of spoiler. The are known as push down, regarless if they are use catching or re-directing the air. I understand your intension is "for looks" and that is fine with me.
In a car like ours, you will have to lower the front and/or raise the back for the spoiler to work. It is design to catch or re-direct air to push the body down, helping the tires get better traction ( in theory). The spoiler must be position as horizontal as possible to the floor to be effective. (to be achieved by lowering the front or raising the back). Rear spoilers are ineffective on front wheel drives because our traction is on the front of the car. Some rear spoiler exceptions will be the ones use to keep the tail down during cornering; ex: SHO and other low profile spoliers. My understanding is that best spoiler for our cars are the front diverters, because of the tendency for the body to go up during acceleration. They are those "little winds" you place on either side of the fender towards the end of the bumper. Lowering the lower front lip also help some.

I am pretty sure there is more to said but this is all I remember right now. I hope it can be of any help.

Lucky.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
The type of spoiler being debated here looks to me to be the rear glass clearing type, not handling aerodynamic style. They have been around for years. VW has had them on quite a few models. My Dads 68 Dodge station wagon had one. At least OP is not floating a 3' high aluminum rice wing out there... To each, his own.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
You should seriously put a roof spoiler on your whip yo.

When you start gettin them higher speeds, it'll help your drag and shіt.

When you drill your roof though, just use tons of super glue, it'll keep the water out of your ride. Post pix when you do this please.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Looks like a good way to deflect the air onto your rear window. (Should help out with snow, dirt, and the like when traveling.) Not the prettiest option, but to each his own.

3M makes some pretty awesome double-sided tape that might work. Search under the group buy threads and see if you can find out what they used for the sequential number plates. I have one on my car and it works great. (Plus one of my manufacturing classes at school gave us some samples to try to destroy and it was pretty hard to even think about making it budge.)

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
unless you're gonna pull a 5th wheel, I seriously don't see a need for said roof spoiler, BUT if you really feel that strongly..........

you should get this

then during winter season, you can flip it, mount it under the front make it pay for itself.........SNOW PLOW!!!!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I like the double sided tape idea the best, and I am sure if you run it all the way parallel to the rear window it will hold well. I don't like the idea of drilling into the car since well you have water leakage possible, and plus if you deciede to take this off because you don't like the look it should be easier to find a way to take the tape off rather than patching holes...then sanding...then repainting. :D Just my 2 cents haha.

Other wise I like that look, and if you did the small tail fin...well that would look extremely well!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yea, ima probably do the small fin idea with double sided tape

saw one on ebay for 20$+15$ shipping, for the price it's worth a shot

·
Registered
260 Posts
if you can find the same type of 3m tape they use on the wind deflector for cars those things can take 100mph speeds easily and they stick very well and last along time. I think it would look pretty cool myself. Post some pics up when you get it done. if it doesnt look all that bad then hell i might do it myself.

Good job man!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts