Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dunno what its called..
basically lookin for a rack on the roof of me Gen3... where I can dump whatever I want ...suitcases.. boxes etc... and secure them..

what that called.. and how much... and is it an easy install/remove...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Sedan or wagon?

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
i think they are called "ex-cargo" im not sure how much they cost though

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Actually I am curious about this myself. I am going on a trip with 5 people, and I don't want to run out of trunk space.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kwel... ya will give a lot of potential if there is a roof rack to put stuff.. and tie down..
anyone know where to get it & wat its called... esp for the gen 3

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Thule makes a whole bunch of racks for different equipment. They have a universal type boxes and playpen baskets, but I'm not sure if they have the mounting hardware for a Taurus.

www.thuleracks.com

·
Registered
318 Posts
I could be mistaken, but I think Sears had a line of roof mounted cargo carriers called X-Cargo, like AFI292 mentioned. Ya might see what they have at their store... You might also check at a larger Ford dealer's parts department. Some of them have a pretty extensive line of accessories.
It used to be pretty easy to mount a roof rack on a car when they had rain gutters, but with the new aerodynamic styling, it gets more difficult.

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
If you guys are talking about those "turtle shell" things, all they do is have straps that hook inside the roof where your door closes. They make all sorts of shapes of hooks for different cars. They don't hook on the doors themselves, since you would not be able to open the doors, they just use the inside door jamb. If you understand let me know. LOL.

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Yakima, Thule, Saris are a few brands. I personally own a Saris, Thules are good, Yakima are probably the most common, but you pay for the name brand. Each has a website, and most are available at your local bikeshop.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thule makes a whole bunch of racks for different equipment. They have a universal type boxes and playpen baskets, but I'm not sure if they have the mounting hardware for a Taurus.

www.thuleracks.com
[/b]
I've got a Thule rack on my 96 sable sedan. The kit that fits the rack to a taurus is #262. You can usually find them on ebay fairly cheap.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Sears Auto places usually sell the "turtle shell" type roof racks. I think I remember U Haul renting them as well, but that's been a few years.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sears Auto places usually sell the "turtle shell" type roof racks. I think I remember U Haul renting them as well, but that's been a few years.
[/b]
Well, thats when this topic was started.... a few years ago. Maybe he found one. lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts