Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm new to the site and want to say that it is a pleasure to be subscribed to this site. I have a road trip coming up(2215 miles roundtrip) and need some feedback. What type of preventative maintenance should I do before I hit the road? I'm changing the spark plugs and wires along with the ignition coil. What else should I do? I purchased a 2006 sel 3.0 with 72,000 miles back in january. I have 93,000 on it now.

·
Registered
10,939 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm new to the site and want to say that it is a pleasure to be subscribed to this site. I have a road trip coming up(2215 miles roundtrip) and need some feedback. What type of preventative maintenance should I do before I hit the road? I'm changing the spark plugs and wires along with the ignition coil. What else should I do? I purchased a 2006 sel 3.0 with 72,000 miles back in january. I have 93,000 on it now.

Aside from what others will mention:
Check the air in the spare.:rolleyes2:
Maybe be sure you got a jack and lug wrench.
I would losen the lugs a bit and retorque just in case some at a tire shop or inspecation over TIGHTENED THEM.

Check tires for air and tread, check brakes for pad life.

Have a nice trip.

-chart-

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
also check belt for dry rot and cracking. i had an old 83 charger that broke a belt when i was in the mountains at 2am. not a good day.

·
Registered
10,939 Posts
also check belt for dry rot and cracking. i had an old 83 charger that broke a belt when i was in the mountains at 2am. not a good day.
May I add one for the Belt?

Pic of belt little over a year old and maybe 8K miles.

No substiture for look, look, look etc.

This was from AutoZone. The backside has not even worn slick or the numbers worn yet.

New one Gaterback.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Since you have a high mileage Vulcan, camshaft position syncronizer. Make sure you have good tie rod ends too. Mine were toast even after 110k miles/8 years ( I bought the car with one already needing replacement).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Not an expert by any means, but if you change the belt, leave that extra one in the car. On a New Years Eve afternoon, in Northern Wisconsin, I had the power steering pump go a jeep. The tow driver was able to find and repair the PS on New Years Day. Picking up a used PS pump from a junkyard was easy, finding the belt would have been a different matter.

·
Registered
23,578 Posts
^+1 on the old belt in the trunk and checking the spare tire psi. Probably a good idea to have a belt remove/install tool with the belt, and a flashlight, lol.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
I addition to a spare belt, I also carry a fairly complete set of cheap chinese made hand tools as well as a Harbor Freight $2.99 DMM in the trunks of all my cars at all times. When taking a long road trip I take many more tools and all kinds of fluids and small spare parts.

The wife always laughs at me when it takes me a few hours to pack my tools/parts/fluids for a long week or 2 road trip, but only 5 minutes to pack my clothes.

·
Registered
10,939 Posts
I addition to a spare belt, I also carry a fairly complete set of cheap chinese made hand tools as well as a Harbor Freight $2.99 DMM in the trunks of all my cars at all times. When taking a long road trip I take many more tools and all kinds of fluids and small spare parts.

The wife always laughs at me when it takes me a few hours to pack my tools/parts/fluids for a long week or 2 road trip, but only 5 minutes to pack my clothes.
Same here, but, when I really needed it, I was 80 mi from home, and my spare stuff was home in the garage floor. :angry:

I had to take a taxi and rent a car to get home, have my wife drive another car back to return the rental, and take me to the disabled car to fix it. Then 2 cars back to home.

It was a distributer for a '87.

Lesson Learned.

Oh yes, add to that list:
Flashlight.
And for me, I carry a spare HL bulb and a 5/16 nut driver.;)

-chart-

ps for those who might care:
5/16 and 8mm interchange and fit many things on the Taurus.

3/4" and 19mm both fit lugs.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
i used to carry a flashlight but my phone has one built in and is brighter then the old flashlight i used to carry. along with the normal tools i also carry a pipe wrench and most importantly a good knife. many years ago i had the pleasure of running over a tarp. it got caught under the car and ended up getting wrapped around my drive shaft.
i also have a set of plugs for tires with a little cheap compressor that plugs into the lighter. ( $10 at big lots ) i do this because some idiot dropped a whole bucket of drywall screws on the road. not only did i have to replace a set of tires, i had to pay for the tow also.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts