Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used this product with good results? I have a 1997 Taurus wagon with 3.0 Vulcan a $500 beater. A year ago , the car blew a radiator hose and overheated on the highway. Last fall, the service center told me it had a blown head gasket--the PH in the coolant was 8.5. (it loses about 4 oz of coolant in a month) I still drive the car daily and it has never overheated yet. This product came to my attention. It seems to be a one step liquid head gasket fix. It would be great if it helps me out--not so good if it clogs up the engine. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've seen at least 4 of these products tested, and NONE of them worked. I tried Steel Seal on my STS which had a blown head gasket and it plugged the heater core and didn't fix the head gasket. I'd say it was a joke.

There is one cure that works 100% of the time that I know of. It's called replacing the head gasket. I promise it does miracles, and you're not constantly wondering if that "Repair Goo O Wonder" is going to fail in the middle of Death Valley in a 130 F weather causing your imminent demise.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have tried many other similar products and the only one that I have used with success is SteelSeal Head Gaskets Repair : Blown Head Gasket : Head Gasket Replacement : Cylinder Head Gasket : SteelSeal.com I have used it in 4 different vehicles and only failed in one application when the leak was so bad that coolant was actually dripping out of the exuast pipe.

As mentioned by a previous poster, this stuff will gum up your heater core, without a doubt. I'm sure it also reduces the cooling capacity of the radiator also. If it drives ok, just run it, and keep an eye on the coolant. Also check the oil and make sure you aren't getting freeze in the oil, THAT WOULD BE BAD... Kills the bearings real quick. For $500, just drive it. Save up some cash and do the gasket. Just make sure you do a cost benefit analysis, taking into account the other possible issues (transmission.)

·
Registered
402 Posts
As mentioned by a previous poster, this stuff will gum up your heater core, without a doubt. I'm sure it also reduces the cooling capacity of the radiator also. If it drives ok, just run it, and keep an eye on the coolant. Also check the oil and make sure you aren't getting freeze in the oil, THAT WOULD BE BAD... Kills the bearings real quick. For $500, just drive it. Save up some cash and do the gasket. Just make sure you do a cost benefit analysis, taking into account the other possible issues (transmission.)
If hes pressurizing the coolant system he really shouldn't be driving it. That plastic reservoir bottle doesn't take pressure very well. The last thing he needs is to blow that and burst a pipe while driving.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts