Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1997 Wagon 3.0 OHV
Optional Factory Wheels

I have tried multiple products to clean brake dust - rims/wheels.
All do work. Some require more work then others. Some don't work at all.

The best and easiest product I have found is Street Appeal manufactured by Awesome Products in Buena Park California.

Found at Dollar Tree stores nationwide. Black pump spray 32 ounces - and all for just one dollar plus any tax.

Works the best on my 1997 rims/wheels.

Little to no scrubbing.

But note with all of these products - expensive or not expensive - some are more abrasive then others.

·
Registered
5 Posts
1997 Wagon 3.0 OHV
Optional Factory Wheels

The best and easiest product I have found is Street Appeal manufactured by Awesome Products in Buena Park California.

Found at Dollar Tree stores nationwide. Black pump spray 32 ounces - and all for just one dollar plus any tax.

Little to no scrubbing.

But note with all of these products - expensive or not expensive - some are more abrasive then others.
The cheap stuff uses either Lye or Acid as their base and this will not be different. Over time your wheels will be ruined.

The ONLY stuff I have used for the better part of 10 years, is Griot's Garage Wheel Cleaner. The only product that comes close is Sonax Wheel Cleaner in terms of quality and ease of use.

·
Registered
5 Posts
On a different note, this morning I pulled the 4 wheels off and cleaned & waxed the INSIDE of the rims. With less than 1K miles on the new car, there wasn't a lot of grime, but they really look amazing now! It's all about the details!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Seemed like Mother's mag wheel cleaner always worked well. I remember mom having a Monte Carlo(2000) SS that the aluminum wheels for really dingy on, a little of that stuff on each, looked almost like new.

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
1997 Wagon 3.0 OHV
Optional Factory Wheels

Little to no scrubbing.

See pic, this after 1300 mile road trip heavily loaded so plenty of brake use. Ceramic pads.

I use tub and tile cleaner and a fine soft brush for tires and wheels. No issues at all.

-chart-

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Sonax is the only wheel cleaner I use. I don't even have to scrub my wheels. Spray it on, let it sit for 5 minutes, then hose it off. The cheap stuff contains acid, which also eats through the clearcoat found on many newer wheels.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
7 Participants
UnDeR EsTiMaTeD
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing