Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, guys!
Nice forum! let me disturb you with some repair problems.
Actually , my car is running pretty well for its age - it's 97 Taurus with 115k on it, but it definitely needs some body work after last winter, when I played pinball-like games on snowy and icy hw exit. And after today's garage departure :) - I don't understand, how it happened, but garage gates definitely was narrower than usual and as a result, I lost my right mirror :unsure: .
So, first my question is about that mirror - is it not big deal to buy used some where on Internet and install it by yourself? How do I know, do I have heated mirror or not? Where do you guys shop for parts usually?
And another my question is about fender , but let me ask it later -I want to make pictures.

Thanks,
godd

G

·
Hi, and welcome to the club! :)

Your best option is probably to either go to a junkyard or find a new mirror on ebay. As far as knowing if you have heated mirrors or not, you should see a little "defroster" symbol on the mirror if you have them. It looks like the same symbol that is on the button for your rear windows defogger. :)

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
It's easy to install and remove any type of mirror. I've just removed mirrors from my 95 Intrepid, and installed them on my friends 95. If I can do it, and I'm only 16 - You can do it. It's about a 5 minute job.

As for heated mirrors, there should be a small "defrost" looking symbol on them. What trim level is your car? What color?

And junkyards are the best bet to get a part. You'd wanna pick it out yourself though, to save money. Sometimes what's on ebay or the internet isn't exactly what you see - and you can end up paying more for it then you ever should.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for quick replies , guys . I am trying to find my color on www.car-part.com, but looks like blue taurus is rare bird on junk yards. Unfortunately, there are no junk yards in my area (at least , I'm not aware about them) and ebay doesn't carry blue mirrors either. :(
BTW, what's a good stuff that duck tape! I bandaged my mirror and it keep it straight even on 80mph with 20mph front wind!

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Originally posted by godd@May 10 2004, 02:59 PM
Thanks for quick replies , guys . I am trying to find my color on www.car-part.com, but looks like blue taurus is rare bird on junk yards. Unfortunately, there are no junk yards in my area (at least , I'm not aware about them) and ebay doesn't carry blue mirrors either. :(
BTW, what's a good stuff that duck tape! I bandaged my mirror and it keep it straight even on 80mph with 20mph front wind!
Buy any color mirror and paint it blue. You can buy small quanities of autopaint from a local automotive paint supply store. Those are the stores where body shops order paint and many will mix it up for you in pint size. No need to get a sprayer or whatever just get the aerosol jars that you fill up with paint at the hardware store.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Firespirit@May 10 2004, 05:05 PM
There's a blue Taurus in the junkyard I go to - where are you located? And how much are you willing to spend? I could probably have one of my friends take me and get it for you.
Thank you. I'll take it in account.
I still have hope to find something nearby, but if I would give up, I'll tell you.
BTW,I'm locating in central WA. As far as I see prices for the used mirror are around 60.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Kermitec+May 10 2004, 05:11 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Kermitec @ May 10 2004, 05:11 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-godd@May 10 2004, 02:59 PM
Thanks for quick replies , guys . I am trying to find my color on www.car-part.com, but looks like blue taurus is rare bird on junk yards. Unfortunately, there are no junk yards in my area (at least , I'm not aware about them) and ebay doesn't carry blue mirrors either.  :(
Buy any color mirror and paint it blue. You can buy small quanities of autopaint from a local automotive paint supply store. Those are the stores where body shops order paint and many will mix it up for you in pint size. No need to get a sprayer or whatever just get the aerosol jars that you fill up with paint at the hardware store. [/b][/quote]
I've heard, there is almost impossible to do good painting without special tools and special ambient conditions such temperature, humidity etc. However, if I will not find blue one, I'll follow your advice.

BTW, guys, sorry for my broken english. Languages are not in my top 5 skill list.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Originally posted by godd+May 10 2004, 04:19 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (godd @ May 10 2004, 04:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 10 2004, 05:11 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-godd
@May 10 2004, 02:59 PM
Thanks for quick replies , guys . I am trying to find my color on www.car-part.com, but looks like blue taurus is rare bird on junk yards. Unfortunately, there are no junk yards in my area (at least , I'm not aware about them) and ebay doesn't carry blue mirrors either.  :(

Buy any color mirror and paint it blue. You can buy small quanities of autopaint from a local automotive paint supply store. Those are the stores where body shops order paint and many will mix it up for you in pint size. No need to get a sprayer or whatever just get the aerosol jars that you fill up with paint at the hardware store.
I've heard, there is almost impossible to do good painting without special tools and special ambient conditions such temperature, humidity etc. However, if I will not find blue one, I'll follow your advice.

BTW, guys, sorry for my broken english. Languages are not in my top 5 skill list. [/b][/quote]
Thats true for painting a whole car but for touch ups and small items like a mirror it really doesnt matter. It takes a little practice to do but its not hard at all.

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Originally posted by godd+May 10 2004, 06:33 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (godd @ May 10 2004, 06:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Firespirit@May 10 2004, 06:24 PM
$60!?!? That's a crock. I could probably yank one for about $25
Really? Where are you locating? [/b][/quote]
I'm located in Indiana. I can see if the Blue g3 is still at the lot probably tomorrow if my friend Josh isn't busy.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
the heated mirror in my 96 GL.. says "heated"...
of course I always wonder it it really does heat up...
at first, I did not know to turn the thing on :lol2: :lol2: ..... then one day some one here said its works along with the read defroster switch...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by Firespirit+May 10 2004, 07:22 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Firespirit @ May 10 2004, 07:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 10 2004, 06:33 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Firespirit
@May 10 2004, 06:24 PM
$60!?!? That's a crock. I could probably yank one for about $25

Really? Where are you locating?
I'm located in Indiana. I can see if the Blue g3 is still at the lot probably tomorrow if my friend Josh isn't busy. [/b][/quote]
Thanks, Firespirit. I just checked 3 salvage yards - nobody carries that stuff.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks like I found one... But it is from Mercury... Do you know ,guys, would it fit my Taurus?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts