Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm checking to see if anyone here has knowledge of a fix for the broken plastic tabs that fit into the metal clips that hold the A-pillar trim pieces in place. My wife and son are hard on this poor car and at $50-100 each to get a replacement, I'm wondering if anyone else has had to try fixing them before. I was thinking of fabricating some plastic to fit the clips and epoxying them to the existing pillar, but wanted to check here first. Any help will be appreciated.
SANY0748__13447.1291314009.1280.1280.jpg

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Find them at a junk yard.
You can't. I've tried. 99% of cars I checked had the plastic broken from age/vibration. On my car, I simply ripped the foam/metal piece out. I guess it's a slightly softer surface for your face in an accident, but third gens didn't have it, so I'm not that concerned. I didn't want it rattling.

The stupid thing is, the ONE car I found that had the plastic intact actually had them melted in place. Not sure if someone creative was in there before, or if the factory started doing something different after a certain year (I think that particular car was an 00 or 01, they must have switched to a crappy glue after). And the yard wanted $25 for both sides. I said no way for that price.

Actually I just realized you were talking about the plastic tabs that adhere the trim to the pillar, not the tabs that hold the foam thing in place. My bad. In that case junkyard is the best bet. If you really want to be fancy, just get some velcro strips.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually I just realized you were talking about the plastic tabs that adhere the trim to the pillar, not the tabs that hold the foam thing in place. My bad. In that case junkyard is the best bet. If you really want to be fancy, just get some velcro strips.

Velcro is not a bad idea, but I just tried attaching a trim body panel retainer with some CA glue and zip kicker, and once I saw it was in place well, I mixed some 2 part epoxy and built up around it to hold it more firmly and permanently in place. I'll post a pic in the AM.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Those are damn hard to find in the yard to where you can get them off without breaking the tabs unless the car did not see a lot of sun. Hot glue work to glue the damn metal inside to the foam when that breaks like the love to do.

·
Registered
17 Posts
2004 Taurus with sun roof.... The A pillar trim piece on the driver side fell off in my lap when driving. What is the purpose of the metal and foam insert? I was wondering if it had something to do with draining the water from the sun roof. Thank you.

·
Registered
572 Posts
2004 Taurus with sun roof.... The A pillar trim piece on the driver side fell off in my lap when driving. What is the purpose of the metal and foam insert? I was wondering if it had something to do with draining the water from the sun roof. Thank you.
Sound dampening would be my guess. Sunroof would likely have a rubber hose running towards the rear of the car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
red house nine, thank you for the information. The reason why I asked about the water drain is because when it rains water will run out of the inside roof cover instead of running down the A pillar trim which is where it would normally go if the trim was attached. Also, I see that someone recommended a hot glue gun to attach the sound dampener to the trim.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The foam is for crash safety. The pinch weld would split your head open without it.

·
Registered
572 Posts
red house nine, thank you for the information. The reason why I asked about the water drain is because when it rains water will run out of the inside roof cover instead of running down the A pillar trim which is where it would normally go if the trim was attached. Also, I see that someone recommended a hot glue gun to attach the sound dampener to the trim.
Have you checked all the weather seals to make sure that they are tight against the glass and not damaged? IIRC, the sunroof should have a gutter under the headliner to catch minor leakage, so make sure it's clear of debris, and make sure the drain hose(s) are also clear. I don't really know what you can use to clean the drain hose with, but one thing that comes to mind is a cheap snake that's used for fishing wires in walls. (Small and flexible enough to insert down the hose). Solid copper wire might also work, but if it's too heavy it may not go down all the way, getting stuck on tight turns, and if it's too thin, then it may easily bend and have no force if it hits a blockage.

Yes, you can probably reattach the foam with a high powered glue gun, but depending on where you live, the glue may not hold up in hot weather. I can't remember what's holding the foam in place, but I want to say brass speed clips on plastic studs. Of course, if the studs are broke off, then you may want to try a plastic adhesive to reattach them back in their original locations.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts