Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently noticed excessive rapid wear on the inside edge of the front drivers side tire. I did the 12-6 and 9-3 wobble test and it was tight. I then found that the front drivers side is sitting 3/4" lower than the passenger side. Am I correct in assuming that this condition will cause the wear on the tire that I am seeing? I see no other obvious damage to the control arm or strut mounting area that would cause this lower stance so it must me the strut that is failing?

The car has 118K miles and I have had it for the last 6 years and 95K miles, there have been no accidents or other damage to the front end. The front struts are original so they are due to be replaced. I am looking for a recommendation on new struts. I am looking for a soft smooth ride.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Make sure the spring is not broken on the side that's sitting lower.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I jacked up the front end and inspected it and can't see or feel a break in the spring, maybe it will be more obvious when I remove the strut.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Over time the springs will lose tension and you will lose ride height, a one inch drop in ride height can cause a -.75 degree camber change (meaning you'll be riding on the inside edgs of your tires).

FYI - there's a suspension section in the forum, you might find more answers there.

·
Registered
562 Posts
It's also quite possible your spring broke off a full coil so it doen't 'look' broke until you take it out and see the jagged end resting in the strut groove.

·
Super Moderator
8,591 Posts
Fairly common to break a few inches from the bottom end of the coil. Hard to see that break unless you look real close.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
When mine broke in the back I could not see it until it was removed from the car.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Just to pile on - I could not see the break(s) on the lower end of the front spring(s) in my '02 'tec either until I had the strut assemblies out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
1. Motorcraft and Monroe struts are junk. I tried both. the motocraft struts are now made in mexico and are really trash. They actually did not work on my 1998 Taurus, the wheels would bind and stop when I tried to turn them. The sensa-crap struts lasted about one month and then failure. The KYB are still working. I really mean they totally failed. I coould not care about the feel or the ride, I mean they actually failed.

Check you engine cradle mount bushings in the front.
Check the springs.
If replacing springs, get ready for a bit of a battle.
Buy KYB, Monroe and Motorcraft failed for me. I did the job three times, be luckier than I was.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts