Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying for a few years to find someone to weld an old cast iron outdoor furniture.
this set was my grandmothers when she was married so maybe 60 years old. i want to
get it fixed for my mom. i've tried a few places but no one will touch it because it's cast iron and not
worth the trouble.

any ideas.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
The problem with welding cast iron if I remember correctly is that you have to get the whole area you are welding red hot to make a proper weld. Most people don't have the equipment necessary to do so.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
I thought the difficulty in welding cast iron was to keep it cool, so it didn't crack. I did have some cast iron parts welded for work last year, but it was steel to cast iron. I forget what type of steel. It held up well structurally, but was very difficult to make air tight. If you know any machinists, I would ask them. Those guys tend to know who does what in the business.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
It's not THAT difficult. I welded up a rather large crack in a Mitsubishi Starion exhaust manifold a couple of years ago and it has yet to re-crack or break or anything like that. That was done with my Lincoln MIG.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I can do it, but I'm about oh say 1/2 way across the country.
You can MIG it, and it will hold ok and look ok, but it's not the best option.
For the best hold, you need to use a special nickel rod and arc weld it. It won't blend in very well but it will hold great.

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts