Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rewiring the rear defroster button

Ok, so I have a 2001 Taurus SES
I took it to the dealer for a number of things. One being that my rear defroster doesn't work.
This is caused by the fact the the button on the front, when i looked at it, the wires on the back of the button weren't connected to anything.
The dealer told me that they just weren't there, and they would need to replace those wires which would take a couple hours and cost $200+ dollars to do.
I was wondering if doing this at home would be a viable option, and how difficult it would be to go through and just rewire the rear defroster.
If there is a simple wiring diagram to get this done i'd appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
If there is a rear defroster, the wires had to be connected at some time or another.

Just get a soldering iron, some solder, heat shrink tubing, etc. and just hook it back up. (Unless it's just unplugged...)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm talking about the button on the center console that turns it on. It's completely disconnected
on the back of the button i can see a few short wires, but there are no wires that i can find back in the dash anywhere for them to connect to.
I need a simple (and i mean simple) wiring diagram that will show me where i need to rewire things so that the button works again.
The back window and its little connector plug and everything back there is fine. It's just the button itself that needs to be rewired through the fuse box. but i have no idea what wires to put in and where to put them.

·
Registered
619 Posts
The button provides a momentary ground to trigger the relay/timer unit. Another momentary ground pulse will cancel defrost. There is a third wire grounded by the timer that triggers the light while it's on.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Finding the timer will be the problem, not to mention that it has to be fused because we don't want to fry the electrical system.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How important is the timer really. I also have a mazda miata and there isn't any timer for the rear defroster on it. It stays on when the buttons pressed, and turns off when pressed again. I've had times when I went days without pressing it off (obviously only stays on while the car is on) and I've never had a problem with it.
Anyway, I also found out, because the former owner had been trying to put in a new stereo, and a bunch of other stuff. that the button for the rear defroster that i have isn't actually the button that was supposed to be on the car. Which would explain why i couldn't find any matching wires to hook it up to.
I'm going to look into that whole thing and get back if i need any more help,
thanks for trying though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts