Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
colud someone tell me what the rev limiter is set at on a 91 with a 3.0, because i've bounced off of it this past weekend.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i knew that what i wanted was at what engine rpms does the limiter kicks in. cuz i hit the limiter in first gear at about 40 mph on a late shift.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
i have heard tons of variations on limiters on the vulcan motors. I can tell you that the stock limiter on a 2000 vulcan is about 5400 rpm. yours may be more, it may be less. So Im gonna say its about 5200-5700 rpm. And of course, the infamous 4000 rpm limiter whilst in park or neutral.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Be VERY careful not to bounce off the rev limiter. Ford's cut fuel delivery to the cylinders as a means to limit revs, which can lead to detonation and serious boom if you do it too much or too long.

Just a warning for next time.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mine does the 4000 in park. i wanted to find out because i have no tach. i only hit it twice both time for only about a second.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Be VERY careful not to bounce off the rev limiter. Ford's cut fuel delivery to the cylinders as a means to limit revs, which can lead to detonation and serious boom if you do it too much or too long.
Just a warning for next time.
i hit the rev limiter for a min once when i was having problems with the car and it was fine i dont know what your talking about and the rev limiter is there to keep the engine from blowing.. ;)

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
The rev limiter is there to keep the internals from spinning apart. The way that the rev limiter is designed can lead to it blowing apart as well. It probably won't blow up the first time you bounce off the limiter, but it definitely will if you do it on a consistent basis.

Funny how Ford does things sometimes.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
It basically means to rev so high you hit the limiter and the engine cuts you back.

What silvapain is saying is true. Don't do it often. I'm not saying don't have fun but if you beat the crap out of your car, don't expect it to last very long.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Originally posted by Twilight@Oct 8 2004, 01:34 PM
It basically means to rev so high you hit the limiter and the engine cuts you back.
Bingo. The engine revs will "bounce" up and down quite violently when the rev limiter kicks in. I'm sure youv'e heard someone doing it before. Stupid ricers.........

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
The SHO rev limiter is different. When you hit the limiter at 7300 rpm, the engine simply won't wind anymore. I did not feel any jerking or anything like it. I believe the limiter on the SHO cuts back the timing and then start cutting the spark.

Bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts