Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard people talking about rev limiters and governors and such so what would be the purpose in removing these? Removing the governor would allow the engine to run until the engine could not go any faster correct? and does the rev limiter stop the rpms at a certain number?

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
iirc, govenor limits the mph to the car, example, the duratec can easily go 120+ mph, but is limited to 112 by the govenor.

and the rev limiter, say the tec redlines at 7k rpm, without the rev limiter it could go all the way to 9k or somthing. doesnt really matter in a automatic though. besides in park/neutral, but i think thats limited to 4k?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
alright thats what I thought, just for hahs how hard is it to remove the governor?
[/b]
Our cars are electronic controlled program vehicles. You would need a tune.

If you interested talk to SHOZ123 (Paul) and he can hook you up with a tune for your vehicle. (including the tuner)

the tune wont just remove the limiter, but make you vehicle run better depending on your type of driving.. different shift points..richer fuel tables, whatever you vehicle would need depending on current modifications so that the engine is taking full advantage of their installation.

·
Registered
230 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
alright thats what I thought, just for hahs how hard is it to remove the governor?
[/b]

If you interested talk to SHOZ123 (Paul) and he can hook you up with a tune for your vehicle. (including the tuner)

the tune wont just remove the limiter, but make you vehicle run better depending on your type of driving.. different shift points..richer fuel tables, whatever you vehicle would need depending on current modifications so that the engine is taking full advantage of their installation.
[/b][/quote]

Ohhh reallyyy? I didnt know there was a tune for the Tec's. How much?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

yeah theres tunes for the vulcanators, the tec's, V6 SHO's and V8 SHO's

I can't list it off the top of my head, ask SHOZ123 (Paul) :)

·
Registered
453 Posts
The rev limiter protects the vehicle from being abused. When the computer senses the rpm's as being to high it shuts down the ignition system to stop it.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

yeah theres tunes for the vulcanators, the tec's, V6 SHO's and V8 SHO's

I can't list it off the top of my head, ask SHOZ123 (Paul) :)
[/b][/quote]

Not V6 SHO =( I asked him, but the xCal is only OBD-II, So i gotta get a TwEEcer instead.

I would highly reccomend a tune from him though if you got the money, live close enough, and love your car.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
The rev limiter protects the vehicle from being abused. When the computer senses the rpm's as being to high it shuts down the ignition system to stop it.
[/b]
Yes, the limiter is there to stop the abuse. The rev limiter is only there in Park/Neutral and that's there to save the tranny from being destroyed (trans pump is pumping fluid at a very high rate while the car's not moving can blow something). The speed limiter is there because the stock tires are rated for 112 MPH and that can be removed safely only if you get new tires that can handle the higher speed.

Also, I believe it's a fuel cut-off, not ignition.

·
Super Moderator
8,227 Posts
^^^^ correct.... it is fuel cutoff, not ignition cutoff at the rev limiter.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
And the limiter is usually just raised. The tunes I write will still have the limiter in use unless specifically asked to be removed. Then I will just raise the rpm to the red line level.

Not too much need to get above 4k in neutral.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Thanks for the correction. Many of the things I was reading on rev limiters mention cutting out the power to the ignition system.

·
Super Moderator
8,227 Posts
Thanks for the correction. Many of the things I was reading on rev limiters mention cutting out the power to the ignition system.
[/b]
There is a good reason to use fuel cut and not ignition cut........ if you use ignition cut, and the injectors are still firing, dumping fuel into the cylinders and there is no spark to light it off. Fuel will build up, and when the spark returns, either you will get a serious bog due to the overly rich mix, exhaust and/or intake backfires, etc. None of these problems exist using fuel cut.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts