Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to a local mechanic, my rotors are "warped" and need replacing. I have always read that warping is highly unlikely, and the pulsing is more likely due to hot spots on the rotors from pad-material deposits.

After several (4 or 5) hard 60-0 stops, the problem persists and I am now convinced I need to replace the rotors. (15k miles ago, I replaced the pads and had the rotors turned...I know most people say to replace them anyway because they're cheap...but $18 to turn them both vs. $50-60 for new rotors, I thought I could get by for another 30-40k miles)

Unfortunately, my pads are darn near brand-new. The mechanic suggested reusing the pads, but most of what I've read online has led me to believe that pads MUST be replaced when installing new rotors. What is the consensus here?

-Jordan

·
Registered
91 Posts
Personally, I would just go ahead and use the same pads. If they're almost new, and a visual inspection shows that any wear on them is straight and equal, you should be fine.

The only time I'd swap out almost new pads is if the pad I used was of poor quality and something led me to believe that these pads left a considerable amount of friction material on the rotor and was the cause of the brake fade.

What kind of pads are they, semi-metallic, ceramic?

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I would get the rotors replaced or turned, then get new pads. Pad deposists is a myth to call it mildly, but cheap pads can get trap more heat, which causes uneven heating and cooling of he rotors, which causes them to warp. I have found that even using cheap rotors, if I used better pads I have no issues with warping.

If your rotors warped after you put these new pads on, that should confirm it, replace them with better pads and be done with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the notorious shimmy in mine too, and changed my pads and rotors last night...to my surprise the pads had plenty of life left and the rotors had plenty of "meat"..... IMO If it were my Camry I would just get the new rotors or have them turned...than again if it were my camry there probably wouldn't be the chance of the shimmy returning so soon.... with that said, with the common problem Taurus have with frequent warping and mixed opinions on why it happens, I would go new everything and dont forget to torque your lugs!!! I did it myself at my dads house "Sam Adams in hand" :cheers: in less than an hour... no shimmy, nice straight stops, and peace of mind that all is new! Plus most auto parts store's give you a limited lifetime warrant, so If it happens again, just shoot down and get your new free parts!:D

·
Registered
95 Posts
I had the same problem - warped rotors, good pads. The story goes like this: Late spring of '10 the previous pads reached the end of their life. Ceramics were on sale so I snagged a good deal and threw them on. The rotors already had a bit of a shimmy, not enough to warrent replacement then, but it grew worse over time. Late October I replaced both rotors to have solid braking going into winter.

Of course I reused the pads; they only had ~6 months on them. I moved the outside pads to the inside, and used some 100 grit sand paper to scuff up the faces of all four. Since then my braking has been as good as it gets. My experience suggests that the line "you can't use the old pads on new rotors" is a myth.

I would go right ahead and use the same pads; just scuff 'em up first and slap them in. I would not waste time or money having the old rotors turned. New are a lot less expensive than you have indicated. Use good parts, do it once and give yourself (and us) safe straight braking.

And BTW - one (possible) reason for warping could be uneven braking - more pressure on the inside than the outside of the rotor. Check your slide pins - clean them and the inside of caliper completely and use new grease (designed for brakes) to relube them. If they look funky replace them. They should cost you ~$5 to 7 per side.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate the phenomenal responses! I will take a look at the pads and judge whether or not I think they are fit for further use (Monroe Ceramics). The reference I used for brake-warp vs. uneven pad-material-deposition was Stop-Tech's website:

StopTech : Balanced Brake Upgrades

I am by no means an expert with metallurgy so I cannot make any further contributions...but given the reduced mass of my rotors after having them resurfaced, it is safe to assume they reached higher temperatures than before; warpage or not, they do need to be replaced. The cheapest rotors I found around here were $35 + 7% sales tax.

Hopefully the slider pins only need cleaning/re-greased...I had to replace them when I installed the new pads last time :)

Sam Adams sounds flippin delicious!

Cheers fellas!
-Jordan

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you Sheila, I will try that :)

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
No input either way on replacing the pads, I probably would just to be safe since you are getting new rotors. Don't forget, if you buy a cheap rotor from autozone or advance auto or a similar store, take it somewhere and get it turned just to be safe, after buying drums for my car and getting the whole job wrapped up only to find out they are warped from their cheap manufacturing in china is very upsetting.

·
Registered
7 Posts
No input either way on replacing the pads, I probably would just to be safe since you are getting new rotors. Don't forget, if you buy a cheap rotor from autozone or advance auto or a similar store, take it somewhere and get it turned just to be safe, after buying drums for my car and getting the whole job wrapped up only to find out they are warped from their cheap manufacturing in china is very upsetting.
I used to be an "auto zone" kind of guy and bought all my parts from there including pads and rotors...but never liked the idea of the china manufacturing, and I assumed that most store brand parts were like this...until...low and behold a "sam adams in hand" :lol2: revelation...Advance Auto Parts "store brand" wearever... is made by:...wait for it.....WAGNER! I confirmed this with their online customer service...and its my experience that Wagner makes a good product...and you can get coupons online that you can apply to your order and pick up in-store...so needless to say, That's the route I went. I got New "Wearever/Wagner" pads and rotors with a $35 off coupon from retailmenot.com all for under 75 bucks...good deal if you ask me...I went with the Gold Pads too... B)

·
Registered
23,350 Posts
The good thing about autozone is their warranty. Theyre the only parts store ive found that replace pads free due to wear-out. Just keep the box, old pads and receipt and theyll swap em out for free. Really, just need the worn-out pads, as they will remove the new ones from the box and put the old ones in. As far as the receipt, youre in the computer with the warr.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same kind of question, I recently replaced the pad with new ones but did not have the rotors turned. The mechanic said if they weren't shaking before I was fine but now that I have had the new pads on now anytime I brake at high speeds like on a freeway they shimmy alot. Can someone advise me what to do??????

1 - 13 of 13 Posts