Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I no longer drive the Bull (maybe once in a while), my wife was using it while the Escape waited for some work, and it's my 18-year old sons car now (an LS Premium is a helluva nice first car, spoiled the boy I think).

But no one has checked the trans fluid, I guess I should have reinforced the need to be diligent about that. It was weeping a tiny bit, so the pan was always covered in a film of fluid, but I guess it got worse over time. Today the trans overheated and hurped fluid out the filler tube.

My wife was driving the car today, went maybe a mile and back, pulled in the drive, went inside, went to leave a while later and saw the puddle on the drive. Thankfully she called and asked what to do, I said nothing - don't even start it. Grabbed a filter and gasket from AutoZone on the way home.

We dropped the pan (first time I've done it on this old Sable), did the needful work, but when I was putting her back together I noted that the gasket that came with the kit was a flat rubber thingus and the one in the car was the reusable Motorcraft part.

Since I didn't know if the Motorcraft part was something that could wear out or not, I went ahead with the new flat rubber gasket.

So did I do the right thing, or should I have re-used the existing Motorcraft gasket? It's not leaking or anything, just wondering what to do next time.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
You shouldn't need to replace the gasket, but since you mentioned it was weeping...maybe it was time for a new gasket. Or maybe the bolts on the pan just needed to be snugged up a bit. As long as it doesn't leak with the new gasket, you should be fine. Just keep an eye on it and hang on to your old factory gasket (if you can).

When I did the ATF in my car, I went ahead and replaced the gasket with a new Motorcraft one since the original was ~ 9 years old (factory).

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ May 12 2009, 09:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=724680
You shouldn't need to replace the gasket, but since you mentioned it was weeping...maybe it was time for a new gasket. Or maybe the bolts on the pan just needed to be snugged up a bit. As long as it doesn't leak with the new gasket, you should be fine. Just keep an eye on it and hang on to your old factory gasket (if you can).

When I did the ATF in my car, I went ahead and replaced the gasket with a new Motorcraft one since the original was ~ 9 years old (factory).[/b]
I think I could have gotten away with snugging the bolts up again, but I'd already done it once and apparently it didn't hold. It was time to replace the trans filter anyway, I haven't done it since I've owned the car and it gets a lot of stop and go use.

By the time I finished it was getting dark out. I put the old gasket aside in the garage. Tomorrow I'll clean it off and inspect it to see if it's got a nick or something.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
QUOTE (OldWagon @ May 13 2009, 05:38 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=724747
Also, for puking ATF out the filler tube -- make sure your transmission vent is not one of those that needs to be replaced. Some vents, 2000-2007, get blocked by a gummy or sticky rubber hat.

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=51551

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?...mp;#entry558663[/b]
Can the original part just be cleaned out/modified? I'm just looking for the easiest path here being that it's not even my car. Can't find the time for my own projects...

·
Registered
7 Posts
QUOTE (crash225 @ Sep 6 2009, 05:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=751512
QUOTE (OldWagon @ May 13 2009, 05:38 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=724747
Also, for puking ATF out the filler tube -- make sure your transmission vent is not one of those that needs to be replaced. Some vents, 2000-2007, get blocked by a gummy or sticky rubber hat.

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=51551

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?...mp;#entry558663[/b]
Can the original part just be cleaned out/modified? I'm just looking for the easiest path here being that it's not even my car. Can't find the time for my own projects...
[/b][/quote]

Sorry weasel, didn't mean to jack your thread ;)

·
Registered
282 Posts
i try not to use any pan gasket other than OEM
they are just good

would a clogged vent cause the tran fluid to spill everywhere unless its poured in super slow?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts