Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of this Friday 11/22/19, I will be joining Chartmaker (Mike), Automender, Sheila, and others here as a retiree! My wife Joan will be joining me in retirement as of next Wednesday. I turned 64 in mid October, and Joan will turn 64 in early February. We have both had very well paying carriers and are pretty much financially set for life.

I spent my first few years after grad school working in R&D in the power generation / distribution industry, and the last 34 years teaching Physics and Electrical Engineering at one of the highest rated engineering schools in the country, where I received a number of awards for teaching excellence, favorite professor, etc over the years. Joan has worked as a BSN/RN in several different positions the healthcare industry and spent her last 10 years in medical quality control. We are looking forward to sleeping late, not battling the rush hours on the interstates, just doing whatever we want, and spending more time with our 4 month old grandson.

·
Registered
22,585 Posts
Congrats and welcome Jeff!!! I'm 70, but I took early special retirement in '05 when I was 55. 30 yrs. as a heavy const. laborer/operator/engineer.

·
Super Moderator
7,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

·
Administrator
14,946 Posts
Congrats to you and Joan on a race well run!
I hope the two of you enjoy a long and healthy retirement. Also a belated congratulations on your promotion to GRANDparents! Here's to hoping you get the opportunity to spend plenty of time with the little guy. Other than having the right person beside you there is no greater joy life can provide than having the opportunity to see it's wonders through the eyes of a child.

·
Super Moderator
7,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Mark! Our grandson, even at 4 months old, has an insatiable curiosity about everything around him. Our daughter is thinking he is going to turn out to be just like me. I an hoping she meant that in a positive way :)

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Congrads on retirement. Did you have a countdown calender ? I found time management in retirement to be the most difficult issue with not enough time to get things done. I will be turning 61 in December and left a stressful job in power generation cybersecurity behind almost three years ago. Not sure why the company I worked for would want a mechanical engineer in a cyber security job but after ten years of federal audits I bailed. I was ready to leave after 35 years at the same company.

Good to hear your Grandson has that curiosity, I took every thing apart that I could growing up. I was given a 150 in 1 Lafayette electronics kit and learned a lot from that. I developed "The Knack" early on.

·
Super Moderator
7,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks!

I took everything I could get my hands on apart starting at a very early age just to see how stuff worked. Unfortunately, I usually couldnt put the stuff back together, and my dad was not mechanically or electrically inclined at all so he couldnt either. I started building Heathkit and Knightkit (from the old Allied Radio franchise) projects in my early teens. I still have a Heathkit DMM I built from a kit back in the very early 70's that used Nixie tubes for the display. It still works, but I dont use it anymore, as I have graduated to Fluke meters, and HP (now Keysight) scopes.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Congrats on retirement. I should have retired a few years ago, but am still physically and mentally able to work. On top of that, I have a job I really like with a 6 mile commute ! (I buy bus parts for a fleet of around 130 Gilligs and Ford E450s) . I like to think of it as paying for my travel habit. No kids, no mortgage, and knock on wood, no car payments.
Enjoy yourselves !

·
Registered
9,678 Posts
As of this Friday 11/22/19, I will be joining Chartmaker (Mike), Automender, Sheila, and others here as a retiree! My wife Joan will be joining me in retirement as of next Wednesday. I turned 64 in mid October, and Joan will turn 64 in early February. We have both had very well paying carriers and are pretty much financially set for life.

I spent my first few years after grad school working in R&D in the power generation / distribution industry, and the last 34 years teaching Physics and Electrical Engineering at one of the highest rated engineering schools in the country, where I received a number of awards for teaching excellence, favorite professor, etc over the years. Joan has worked as a BSN/RN in several different positions the healthcare industry and spent her last 10 years in medical quality control. We are looking forward to sleeping late, not battling the rush hours on the interstates, just doing whatever we want, and spending more time with our 4 month old grandson.
Congrats. I retired 21 years ago at 58. I have been ultra busy for all those years and still maxed out. I get together with two retired fellows groups, one breakfast, and one lunch, each month. Been doing that for 21 years. Our numbers decline due to death. One thing in common: all of us survivors are very busy. Do not know sure which is cause and effect. Sounds like you will be busy and live long. I am far more busy than my body can stand.
Best of luck.
-chart-

·
Super Moderator
7,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, Mike!

I have a ton of projects sitting in my "work que". I will be keeping busy for sure!

·
Registered
21 Posts
As of this Friday 11/22/19, I will be joining Chartmaker (Mike), Automender, Sheila, and others here as a retiree! My wife Joan will be joining me in retirement as of next Wednesday. I turned 64 in mid October, and Joan will turn 64 in early February. We have both had very well paying carriers and are pretty much financially set for life. ...

My wife and I thoroughly love our retirement. I enjoyed my work -- had a great time in fact, but I'm done. Coffee and the newspaper every morning -- what a concept!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts