Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Muriatic acid.

Do this OUTSIDE. Don't even think about doing this inside. Outside with a fan is better. It makes chlorine gas.

Remove the tank. Plug the tube fittings with plastic and tie wraps. Fill it with a 50/50 mixture of that muriatic acid you've got left over from cleaning the driveway. Don't but the cap on. Let it sit for at least an hour.

Hold it downwind, hold your breath, and dump out the rust and hideous yellow colored liquid. Use goggles and rubber gloves like you would use regularly handling muriatic acid. It won't take away the yellowing from age, but you'll be able to see the fluid level again. Use Amorall or silicone spray to make it look good and be more transparent.

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
Muriatic acid.

Do this OUTSIDE. Don't even think about doing this inside. Outside with a fan is better. It makes chlorine gas.

Remove the tank. Plug the tube fittings with plastic and tie wraps. Fill it with a 50/50 mixture of that muriatic acid you've got left over from cleaning the driveway. Don't but the cap on. Let it sit for at least an hour.

Hold it downwind, hold your breath, and dump out the rust and hideous yellow colored liquid. Use goggles and rubber gloves like you would use regularly handling muriatic acid. It won't take away the yellowing from age, but you'll be able to see the fluid level again. Use Amorall or silicone spray to make it look good and be more transparent.

I have used Muriatic for aggressive rust removal, use with caution. Key is to rinse with water and neutralize with ammonia. Ammonia will stop any action by the acid and since it is a gas dissolved in water, it will leave with no residue.
-chart-

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
well the question has to be asked:
if the cooling tank was like that, did you fix the head gasket
that probably caused the problem?

·
Registered
39 Posts
$36 on Amazon for a new one. I just replaced mine for the second time. Original one got a crack in it. The 2nd one was just too dirty at 250k. So, now there is a nice new one in there. Figured I might as well replace it since I took it out for the timing cover gasket, timing cover, timing chain/gears, water pump, alternator, etc. replacement. Replaced the oil pan gasket and oil pan too. Now, if I can just get this O2 sensor issue straightened out, the car should be good for another 250k. lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts