Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '98 Taurus with 3.0 Duratec. I've had it about a year and a half and only had to keep the oil changed. But now that I've decided to add a CD changer, I've made myself a problem.

I removed the rear chassis unit from the trunk, so I could match up the connectors for the changer. (It puts out a signal on FM, that get's patched into the antenna line.) When I put the unit back in, everything on the radio is now dead.

The shop manual lists some checks. It says to check a couple wires on the power to the radio in-dash unit (switched and unswitched power), and to check power at the fuse holders, and to check the fuses (Three different fuses). All those check out OK. The next step in the diagnostic says to "restore vehicle." Sounds like some sort of reset for the electronics.

Does anyone here know how to handle this? Or is this something that will need to be done at the dealer?

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Originally posted by tan98@May 30 2004, 08:43 PM
The next step in the diagnostic says to "restore vehicle." Sounds like some sort of reset for the electronics.
Disconnect the battery maybe?

Check to make sure that you didnt pull out any grounds as well. Does the factory hu up front do anything at all? This may sound a bit dumb, but try pushing in the volume knob, I believe thats the power button for the factory system.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to be so long getting back here with a follow up. Here's what I found out. Restore just means to reconnect everything and retest to see if the fix worked. Once I solved that, I followed a couple more steps in the diagnostic and found that fuse #17 under the hood was blown. Guess I did that when I bared the live wire to hook up the CD changer.

With that and splicing some plugs into the antenna line I was done in a couple of hours.

Thought I was really up a creek, but it was just something simple.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by tan98@Jun 2 2004, 06:57 PM
Sorry to be so long getting back here with a follow up. Here's what I found out. Restore just means to reconnect everything and retest to see if the fix worked. Once I solved that, I followed a couple more steps in the diagnostic and found that fuse #17 under the hood was blown. Guess I did that when I bared the live wire to hook up the CD changer.

With that and splicing some plugs into the antenna line I was done in a couple of hours.

Thought I was really up a creek, but it was just something simple.
It's always nice when it's a simple solution :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts