Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm a new Taurus owner. This is also my first car :D . I got it because it had a lot of room. I didn't think you could make so many different mods to it. I already took off my Intake Silencer, and have a performance air filter on the way. Now I want to take off my Exhaust Resonator, and I was wondering if anyone knew the dimensions of the resonator? I'm looking to get a Dynomax Thrush Glass Pack Muffler, Probably from Pep Boys. What size is recommended? I would just measure it all myself, but I'm a busy student. Any Info would be much appreciated. Thanks all.

(1999 Taurus SE 3.0L OHV)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Cut my resonator out about a week ago. Its a hair short of three feet, so get 36" of 2" straight pipe, its easy to do and i love the way mine sounds with out the resonator.

36"x2"

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
From what I've heard about our cars, if you want to have an aftermarket muffler (flowmaster, magnaflow), you're going to want to keep a resonator on there, since it doesn't impede the flow of exhaust and will keep the exhaust note from sounding raspy. I'm putting dual flowmaster 40s on my Sable, and I'm definitely keeping the resonator in there...

JR

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Jun 30 2004, 07:16 AM
From what I've heard about our cars, if you want to have an aftermarket muffler (flowmaster, magnaflow), you're going to want to keep a resonator on there, since it doesn't impede the flow of exhaust and will keep the exhaust note from sounding raspy. I'm putting dual flowmaster 40s on my Sable, and I'm definitely keeping the resonator in there...

JR
I've even had several shops and exhaust parts dealers say above just leaving the stock resonator on a better thing to do to reduce raspiness is to replace the stock resonator with the longest resonator you can install. And yes you are correct there is no flow restriction from the resonator.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This what I was looking to install.

Thrush Glasspack Muffler - Overall Length 35" - 2.25" Inlet/Outlet - Single Outlet

MORE POWER AND BIG SOUND!
The Thrush Glasspack Muffler is a great combination of more power and a big, unique glasspack sound.
The straight-through design gives your vehicle maximum flow and power and the fiberglass interior results
in a powerful exhaust tone and longer life. Welded outer shell construction means there are no seams to
"blow out" and the muffler's floating center tube allows heat expansion to resist breakage. There's a dual outlet,
which is great for pick-ups and custom applications. Expandable bushings are also included

The Attached file has a pic.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
That should fit if you plan on upgrading the rest of your exhaust to 2.25 from the stock 2.00

Keep in mind it will not give you more power as their description says. The more power they are claiming is versus stock mufflers not versus a straight through resonator that has no restrictions to it already.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I got that whole set up and clamped on my pipes and everything and within two weeks it fell off, so i would say its not much more just to have the professionals do it to begin with. They weld it on good and it only cost me 20 bucks.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts