Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
07 Taurus. Shifter cable is broken. Confirmed by removing nut on shifter cable connecting to Transmission Range Sensor (Neutral Safety switch). Pulled cable out of sheathing.... Yup it's broken.

Is this a symptom of something else going wrong on the column shifter? Currently, can't move shifter back to Park. N-Dx positions work. Just can't get it past R and back to P resulting in key remaining in ignition.

Glancing under dash, it seems the torx bolts holding the shifter assemble to the bracket is not loose. Attempting to move the bracket and mounting area did not show any play.

Brake Lights work when pressing. Fuse #17 is good.
Using Light Tester, Cruise Control SwitchBrake PedalSensor (outlined in orange) has Voltage on Green/red stripe (#2). Voltage available on white/orange (#1)when brake is depressed.

There is another component (outlined in green) with 2 wires and both being Green/red tracer and 2 wire (possible red/green tracer) What is this used for? This should be the Brake Lamp Switch.
Pressing on brake pedal turns on rear brake lights.

Light Circuit component Automotive tire Electrical wiring Gas

·
Registered
04 Taurus SES Vulcan
106 Posts
One switch goes to CC and 3rd brake light, t'other goes through the turn switch for regular brake lights.

What you're probably looking for is the park lockout solenoid in the shifter which is there to keep you from going in/out of park unless the brake is engaged. Likely the solenoid itself is dead since you have brake lights.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for responding @helifino. I don't know much about this vehicle or fords since this is my neighbors car that was towed back the other night.

I was able to locate the Shift Lock Solenoid on located on the left rear of the column. It has 3 wires going to the plug. I'm able to manually pull down on the mechanical locking mechanism on end of solenoid. Still the column shifter wouldn't return to D or R. Was thinking about the problem some more and i'm thinking the other end of the transmission shift gear cable (side still attached to column shifter) is binding on the casing which prevents gear position from going to D and R. I didn't strong arm the gear position since this is new to me and not my car. Rather not create a new problem.

I believe the next step is to remove disengage the rest of the broken cable from the gear shifter or remove the broken cable assembly. If this works, then it's just one problem...broken trans shift gear cable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After removing shifter cable, gear shifter was able to return to D position. Shift cable on order.
This cable goes through the firewall on the driver side of footwell. Can't tell if there's a bracket/bolts holding it in place. View is blocked by other cables and components in that area. Will find out soon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Removed the holder from engine site. This "holder" is cream/whitish and has 2 tabs that precent it from popping out of the bracket. There are 2 small rectangular holes in the bracket. Push both tabs gently towards firewall/driver side and pull the cable up and out (along with the bracket.

Got the replacement shifter cable which has 2" round bushing that is built into the shift cable assembly. From the design the shift cable is to be inserted from the driver side foot well into the engine bay. I was able to follow the broken cable and located the position of firewall passing.

From the engine bay, the grommet can't be seen. There is a 3x4x4 black box with a wire harness blocking the view. This black box is to the left of the brake reservoir. 2 bolts seems to be holding it to the wheel well via brackets. Wondering what this item is (sorry forgot to take a picture). Might be able to get one later.

Wondering if i can just muscle the broken cable assemble from driver position. Then installing should be easier since grommet access is just able accessible from foot well.

Thoughts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cruise Control Servo Assembly: Held by 2-13MM nuts. Still can't access firewall hole.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Trunk Vehicle

Now to see if Driver Side Fuse Assembly can be removed easily.

Here's the point of entry to engine bay from footwell.
Automotive battery Electronic device Motor vehicle Auto part Telephone

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok...got it done. The cable assembly changes shape/sheathing so i was looking for the wrong thing. The entry point is above the Cruise Control assembly and tucked in the corner. I pulled the assemble from the inside and then the grommet finally gave. Inserted new shifter assemble...I cant guarantee the grommet is seated since there very little space next to a bracket and the fuse box. Either way, the inside shifter was re-seated along with the circular portion onto the shifter assembly. I set the shifter to Neutral since the Neutral Safety was in neutral position and it was towed back. From the engine side, re-added the plastic U clamp and reseated it into the bracket. Then tighten 13mm nut to neutral safety bolt. Made sure foot was on brakes and turned on car. Gently shifted back to park and made sure car did not move. Moved to R, N and oD and car moved accordingly. Hopefully this info helps since this ford are very foreign to me :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts