Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just bought a 2004 Taurus. We understand that the transmission on the newer Taurus' learns how you drive. How do we reset it so that the previous owners codes are no longer used?

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Remove the negative terminal from the battery and let the car sit for about an hour. Then, replace the cable for the battery, and go out and drive like you want the car to drive. For instance, if you want the car to hold gears longer, accelerate longer in each gear.

JR

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
These things actually learn how we drive? (I have an 05)

I did put 10000 miles on my Taurus, so hopefully it learned how I drive, all I know about mine is it drives beautifully :)

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
It adapts to what you're asking the car to do...like if you're driving slowly around town, it will shift slowly and smoothly. If you're asking more of it, it will shift firmer and quicker. Of course, on a stock tune, "firmer" and "quicker" can be relative terms :lol2:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Remove the negative terminal from the battery and let the car sit for about an hour. Then, replace the cable for the battery, and go out and drive like you want the car to drive. For instance, if you want the car to hold gears longer, accelerate longer in each gear.

JR
I just bought a 2002 Taurus and it was driving fine all day and now it falls out of gear and now it wont engage any of the gears. Would this trick help and if so what should I do to prevent from happening again?

·
Registered
10,036 Posts
The memory only effects shift points. Any other problems first thing is to check fluid.Hot idling on VERY flat pavement, hot is in ~20 miles of driving. Low or high fluid levels cause lots of problems.
-chart-

·
Super Moderator
8,117 Posts
^^^^ That would be my guess.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts