Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I turn the car off water comes out thru the reservior cap. I replaced the cap & the problem went away for about 2 weeks now its leaking again thru the new cap. Car is not overheating according to the gauge. What else could be the problem.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Your cooling system isn't pressurizing - usually it's due to a faulty cap but could be anywhere in the coolant loop. Check for cracks in reservoir. If you can get a pressure test done on the system, that would help. It should be able to hold up to 15 psi.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
Did you use a Motorcraft replacement cap, or some cheap junk from the discount parts store?

·
Registered
564 Posts
I replaced a cracked tank and used the new cap that came with it. It wouldn't hold pressure and was leaking just as you describe. I put on the cap that was on my old tank and haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice.
I had all the hoses/reservoir tank replaced about 2 years ago;
Coolant started coming out thru the cap. I replaced cap, was o.k. for a couple weeks then tank cracked. Got replacement tank & cap from AutoZone, was ok for a couple weeks now coolant coming out the cap again. I bought new cap from Ford, so we'll see how that works now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts