Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of replacing the struts, rotors, calipers, pads, ball joint, inner and outer tie rods ends and wheeling bearing. Now on the left front side I see a mount in real bad shape it is just in front of the strut . It looks like there is a stud and nut holding it to a bracket that mounts to the trans with four bolts, two easy, two up higher not sure If I need to remove the bracket. It also looks to just sit on another bracket below it.

Any tips, videos on how to do it?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Transmission mount - attaches to transmission at top and sub frame at bottom.
I replaced mine about a year ago doing about the same work you are doing. It was very deteriorated. I have a Vulcan, but from your pic it looks exactly the same.
Remove the top nut and the 2 bolts on the bracket.
The hard part is raising the transmission enough to clear the top stud which is an integral part of the mount.
Then just remove the mount and bracket together , separate them, another bolt underneath holds them together, bolt the new mount and bracket together and reinstall as an assembly , again needing enough clearance to clear the top stud.
Made a big improvement stabilizing engine movement especially when shifting into gear from park or nuetral.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Just to clarify, I removed the top nut and the 2 bolts on the lower bracket.
I didn't remove the 2 bolts holding the top bracket to the transmission, I didn't want to mess with it. That might give clearance for the stud I but I didn't do it that way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just to clarify, I removed the top nut and the 2 bolts on the lower bracket.
I didn't remove the 2 bolts holding the top bracket to the transmission, I didn't want to mess with it. That might give clearance for the stud I but I didn't do it that way.
That is what I was hoping as the top mount has another two bolts up higher that can't be seen in the picture and could be very hard to access???

Picking up the part today hope the PB blaster is doing it's duty!!!

Thanks

·
Registered
136 Posts
I got one at Advance auto, good replacement, seems solid.
My old one was worse than the one in the above picture, rubber and metal falling apart.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Alldata recomends doing it by loosening the mounts and securing the engine with a support bar that you will likely have to order online. You then raise the engine secure it and while your at it get the other hydraulic mount under the ac compressor and check the other mounts.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I agree, the manual gives the proper procedure. When I removed the bottom bolts the mount dropped slightly and only needed about 3/4" to clear. There is a "ledge" on the engine block just behind and slightly forward of the mount (NOT the oil or trans pan) where I could place a jack for support.
This would not probably work for the other mounts but I didn't replace any others as they were not decayed like this one.

·
Administrator
14,345 Posts
I did mine about 2 months ago. http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/134-taurus-sable-project-log/174364-sousa632s-2001-duratec-sable-ls-premium-wagon-10.html#post2326354

Here's what I did:

I removed the top bolt to the bracket, then removed the bottom 2 through bolts and wrestled it out after jacking up the trans as far as it would go. After that there are 2 10mm bolts that hold the bottom of the mount to the bracket. Remove them. Put the bottom bracket back in place(not secured) put the mount in place and attach the top bolt. Then hole the bracket to the bottom of the mount attach the 10mm bolts to the mount with your fingers and tighten with a crows foot wrench. Lower the trans to align the bottom 2 bolts and tighten everything up. I really don't see it going together any other way due to that bracket and not really having any extra room.

The mount I used was the Anchor brand on Rockauto.com. So far it's held up pretty good.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My old mount came out in two pieces. removed the two bolts holding the lower bracket but couldn't figure out how to get it back in without removing the upper mount. Took longer than I thought somewhere I read someone did it in about 10 minutes...

Put everything back together and on the test drive 2 miles in the left front started to squeak got worst by the time I got home and the new wheel bearing is shot, it was like a loose tooth. I wont be able to remove it until late this weekend any ideas what happened? Something I did wrong? Bad bearing? I have replaced a number of hub assemblies never any issues until not???

·
Registered
145 Posts
I did mine about 2 months ago. http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/134-taurus-sable-project-log/174364-sousa632s-2001-duratec-sable-ls-premium-wagon-10.html#post2326354

Here's what I did:

I removed the top bolt to the bracket, then removed the bottom 2 through bolts and wrestled it out after jacking up the trans as far as it would go. After that there are 2 10mm bolts that hold the bottom of the mount to the bracket. Remove them. Put the bottom bracket back in place(not secured) put the mount in place and attach the top bolt. Then hole the bracket to the bottom of the mount attach the 10mm bolts to the mount with your fingers and tighten with a crows foot wrench. Lower the trans to align the bottom 2 bolts and tighten everything up. I really don't see it going together any other way due to that bracket and not really having any extra room.

The mount I used was the Anchor brand on Rockauto.com. So far it's held up pretty good.

Where did you jack up the transmission (trans oil pan ) and did you also loosed the two engine mounts?

·
Registered
6,753 Posts
Jack the transmission up by putting a piece of plywood or similar under the pan to distribute the force of the jack. The bigger the better. I did not loosen the engine mounts. I also was able to jack the trans up after I loosened the one mount bolt. I the loosened the two bolt that hold the bracket to the trans bracket. That let me lit the mount and bracket up to get a socket and ratchet and take out the two small bolts that hold the mount to the bracket. I trimmed the anti rotation pin on the mount so it only sticks up 1/4 inch to help with clearance. I then attached the mount to the trans mission and then the mount to the mount bracket then the mount bracket to the trans. bracket .

I did it that way because I had trouble getting the trans bracket bolts out of the transmission.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I just yanked mine out tonight. It came out in two pieces as well. I then removed the two 10mm bolts that hold the bracket to the mount itself. I put the new mount on the bracket, but I couldn't get the trans high enough to get the assembly back in there as it is much thicker than the old one.
I did not lift mine by the pan, I found a square area at the bottom of the trans that was very thick and solid so I thought it would hold up, which it did. However, I could not lift the trans high enough to the get mount in there. Do I need to remove something else to gain clearance?

Thanks for all the good info.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well, I figured it out.
There is a transmission strap that is towards the front of the car that secures the trans to the cradle with rubber mounts. I took that loose and it gave me more room to raise the trans. However, that wasn't enough either, so I removed the bracket that bolts to the top of the trans mount I was replacing. It has 4 - 13mm size bolts that bolt directly to the transmission case. When I got that off, I put the mount together from the bottom up. So I bolted the bottom bracket to the mount with the two- 10mm bolts and then put the bottom bracket on the cradle and put the two larger 15mm bolts in, but didn't tighten them, and then put that upper trans bracket on top of the mount and put the 3/4 nut on loosely. I then bolted the top bracket back to the transmission case tight, and then tightened the top mount bolt, and the 2 lower bracket bolts and then put the trans strap bolt back on and tightened everything up. It has definitely set everything higher in the engine bay as it is about 1 inch taller than the old flattened one that came out.
On this 04, I couldn't figure out any other way of doing it, other than lowering the cradle down which seemed like more of a pain than the way I did it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts