Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a thought.... Since i have heard some stories about transmissions not liking the new fluid due to visc changes when following the flush write-up...

What if i just suck or drain whats in the pan, (approx 6 qt from what i have heard) replace with fresh Motorcraft Merc V, do a little bit of driving, then replace it once more and either leave it as is or drive some more and repalce again.

I know it would waste a little more fluid and wouldn't get all the dirty out, but maybe it could prolong my stock trannys life.

Thoughts? I wouldn't be doing a filter change

·
Super Moderator
8,863 Posts
Actually, doing it your way is fairly common. What many do is drain as much as they can by either dropping the pan or sucking it out, and refilling. Then driving several K miles and repeat the process. After doing this several times (called the law of successive dilution) most of the old fluid has been replaced. If the filter hasnt been changed in 20 or 30 K mikes, I would drop the pan to get the first 5 or 6 quarts out, change the filter, and refill. Then in several months suck out 5 or 6 qt, refill, and repeat.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking about doing the 2nd batch of 6 qts of fluid the same day after driving on the highway for about an hour. I am fairly sure the fluid would all be mixed within just a few minutes of driving anyways, right ? The fluid has been in there around 40k so i want to get it all out.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I was thinking about doing the 2nd batch of 6 qts of fluid the same day after driving on the highway for about an hour. I am fairly sure the fluid would all be mixed within just a few minutes of driving anyways, right ? The fluid has been in there around 40k so i want to get it all out.
If it's been 'only' 40K it's probably not that bad. Why not just do the TCCA flush?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The fluid seems to be losing its pink color, and is moving towards a darker color so i wanna get it outa there. Might be closer to 50k, i forgot to write down the exact mileage of the last fluid change.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
As long as it's not way past due, or really dark in color, just dropping the pan, and changing the filter is fine. I always kept up on that part, so I never had to totaly flush all the fluid out.

The only reason the car "would not like" the new atf is if the wrong type of atf is used. M1 atf is good stuff for these cars, as it has more anti-shudder additives than dino atf has. I was tired of doing atf changes, and I dislike automatics, so I bought a manual transmission, but it's good to change manual transmission fluid when you do a clutch job, or after 100k.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.