Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help before I plunge in to this task.

First, where is the thermostat on the 2000 Duratec? Pictures please.
What do I need to do to remove it and replace it correctly?
Tools? O-Ring? etc.

Search around for a guide but didn't find one.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
No pics, but it's between the fans and the block kinda hanging there by itself. Slide under the car and look straight up, pretty much right in the middle where the coolant hoses meet. You'll only need a bucket (if system is full) and a couple deep sockets. Get the o-ring, it's cheap.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (00tec-saTX @ May 29 2009, 11:25 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728855
No pics, but it's between the fans and the block kinda hanging there by itself. Slide under the car and look straight up, pretty much right in the middle where the coolant hoses meet. You'll only need a bucket (if system is full) and a couple deep sockets. Get the o-ring, it's cheap.[/b]

I'll get the O-Ring. I'll have to buy the sockets. What size socket?

Thanks.

·
Registered
448 Posts
QUOTE (2000Sable @ May 29 2009, 01:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728856
QUOTE (00tec-saTX @ May 29 2009, 11:25 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=728855
No pics, but it's between the fans and the block kinda hanging there by itself. Slide under the car and look straight up, pretty much right in the middle where the coolant hoses meet. You'll only need a bucket (if system is full) and a couple deep sockets. Get the o-ring, it's cheap.[/b]

I'll get the O-Ring. I'll have to buy the sockets. What size socket?

Thanks.
[/b][/quote]

If you don't have any sockets, go to harbor freight and get 3/8" drive sockets they have on sale all the time. Make sure it's metric. Generally speaking 10-19 mm will work for most of things on a car, with 10, 11, 13, 15, 17, 18, 19 being the most used. It is also useful to get the 1/4" drive sockets for 4mm thru 10mm, with 7, 8, 10 being most useful. Ford also uses 5.5 mm sometimes for small bolts.

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
I think the thermostat housing bolts were 12mm, but don't hold me to that.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tools:
8mm Socket (Standard)
5.5mm Socket (Standard)
Pliers.

Supplies:
Thermostat
o-ring (optional)
Bucket
Antifreeze and distilled water. (Redline water wetter optional)

Procedure:
1. Drain the coolant system as described here.
2. You have to remove the lower cowl. 5.5 mm bolts and 8mm bolts.
3. The Thermostat is located exactly where stated. Between the radiator and the motor located near the bottom of the fame.
4. Remove the two 8mm bolts push the bell cap in toward the motor and using pliers pull the old stat and O-ring out.
5. Put the new thermostat in, put the O-ring in, replace the bell cap and tighten evenly.
6. Replace lower cowl.

Mix your coolant and Redline and add as described here.

Total time ~1 hour.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts