Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

This is more of a theoretical question. My 01 sable's duratec has low compression in cylinder 4. I'm wondering if I change the head because of a burned valve (i.e. I go to junk yard to get a used head and slap it on), can that be done in vehicle? Reading the workshop manual I get the impression that to do this, basically the whole engine has to out, as there is not enough room to take off the timing chain. (By taking the engine out, I mean dropping the subframe). Is that true? Is there someway to change the head in vehicle with the least amount of effort possible?

Thanks all,

Yiran

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
with enough patience i am sure it could be done you would need to take all of the accessories, you may have to at least lower the subframe to get to a few things though. i have not personally done this extensive of work to a duratec before but i am sure someone that has can pipe in with better advice.

also are you sure it is a burned valve and not a problem in the lower end?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (sable23 @ May 18 2009, 01:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=726086
with enough patience i am sure it could be done you would need to take all of the accessories, you may have to at least lower the subframe to get to a few things though. i have not personally done this extensive of work to a duratec before but i am sure someone that has can pipe in with better advice.

also are you sure it is a burned valve and not a problem in the lower end?[/b]
Cylinder 4 shows low compression. I doubt it is a low end issue. The engine runs fine but has misfire at low RPM. It is basically a valve problem. But I don't want to screw with replacing the valves. It is actually cheaper to just replace the head. But if I had to remove the engine, then it is really not worth it. In fact, at that point, it would be cheaper to replace the engine.

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
It can be done in-car, just a PITA. Have to remove the front cover, which requires removing most if not all of the accessories.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (spridget @ May 19 2009, 03:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=726398
It can be done in car, but it is a serious PITA. Probably still easier than removing the entire engine though. Fortunately it's the front head, so it should be easier to replace than the rear.[/b]
Actually it appears (according to the pictures in this ) that dropping the subframe with everything still bolted on should not be that terrible. So if I decide to do this, I can probably get this done in couple of weekends...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts