Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening, first-time poster, sometime-lurker here.

Recently, my '94 Sable has been running extremely rough, not stalling, but nevertheless worrisome. It seemed that running the engine for ~20 minutes would eventually clear it up, but that's not the case in the last two weeks (but of course, it's also now below freezing here in Minnesota).

A bottle of injector cleaner didn't resolve the problem, and the plugs and fuel filter are due for a change anyway, so I decided to go ahead and change them.

However, in trying to relieve the fuel pressure in order to replace the filter, I'm unsure of how to shut off the fuel pump. The owner's manual doesn't list a relay corresponding to it, and the only tutorials to that effect are for Generation 3 vehicles and later. I know the inertia switch is located on the driver's side in the trunk, but I can't reach it except to access the reset switch--is it possible to remove the trunk lining such that I could disconnect it?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Supposedly you can just hit the inertia switch to trip it off. But yes you can remove the lining to get to it. I never bothered relieving the fuel pressure before changing the fuel filter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Why do you want to shut the pump off?If ignition switch is off the pump will be shut.
To release the fuel pressue you can access the pressure check port on the fuel rail .
Anyone correct me if I am wrong.
:)
Good evening, first-time poster, sometime-lurker here.

... I'm unsure of how to shut off the fuel pump. The owner's manual doesn't list a relay corresponding to it, and the only tutorials to that effect are for Generation 3 vehicles and later. Thanks in advance.
[/b]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Supposedly you can just hit the inertia switch to trip it off. But yes you can remove the lining to get to it. I never bothered relieving the fuel pressure before changing the fuel filter.
[/b]
Excellent, thanks!

Aside from the above problem, the car's in decent shape. Just turned over to 118K miles (a good portion of them being city miles).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts