Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How had would it be to replace the front windshield on a Gen 3? Wes has a good sized crack in his windshield where a pebble hit it and the crack had just been getting bigger. It looks like he could get glass from a salvage yard for about $100, but is it something we could replace, or what would it cost to have it professionally replaced?

List price on the part from FordPartsNetwork is $$213.10 and thier price is $179. It might be worth it to just get a new windshield, but he still needs to get it installed somehow.

-Dan

·
Registered
946 Posts
Check with your insurance. Usually you pay the deductable and get it replaced. I am on my 4th windshield because of trucks on the expressway. You will appreciate having a professional do it, as the windshield is an integral part of the SRS system and stability of the front fram of the car. If its not done properly, you are putting yourself and your passengers at risk.

Not worth it in my opinion. My deductibles are 100/100. Which is cheap.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wes has liability only.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
its not hard but you need the right tools.

you need to remove the windshield, scrape away all the old glue.

lay down the beed of glue in a tall thin beed (almost 3\4 in high) all the way around. Place spacers in to get windshiled in the corect position.

Place the glass on the glue and do not slam doors shuf fo 1 day.

(if the glass does not come with the rubber molding on it you need to attach it to the glass before installation.

Overall i would never do it myself, jus ahve a pro do it.

Brad

·
Registered
887 Posts
I second the professional work suggestion. Windshield replacement can cause a serious safety issue if done incorrectly:

1) Windshield glass is actually designed to add crash strength, which can be compromised if installed incorrectly.

2)If the windshield is incorrectly glued, it can be forced out of the "frame" by the airbags in a collision, causing a serious risk of being ejected from the car (especially without seatbelts), or allowing flying debris into the car. People have been killed by this problem after poor quality repair.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts