Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've got a 1994 Taurus GL

I've got bad/old/original suspension all the way around. Severe drag ass syndrome. I am planning on replacing the struts and springs along with all the other little parts needed.

Since the car is pretty old and prone to misc mechanical failures, I keep my tools in the trunk along with a jack and jack stands as well as whatever else I decide to put back there. To simplify, I keep a lot of weight in the trunk.

It's time to replace the suspension components, and I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations on which springs and struts to put on. I don't mind the rough ride that comes along with a stiff suspension so don't hold back any suggestions. I would however like to keep the costs down.

Recommendations?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Well we have everything you would need for your suspension: Suspension - SHO Source

If you want to lower your Taurus I would suggest Intrax or B&G springs. If you want a stock height I would go for Moog springs: Suspension- Springs - SHO Source

For struts I would only do Monroe, unless you want performance I would go for Koni: Suspension- Struts - SHO Source
KYB generally are not good for Gen1/2

We do have Monroe strut mounts: Suspension- Strut Mounts - SHO Source

We do offer Monroe quick struts as well for a complete install solution: Suspension- Strut Assembly - SHO Source

Your endlinks may need to be replaced due to age so take a look at that as well.

·
Registered
562 Posts
All I can offer is my own experience and I've got a 2000 sedan that I put new rear springs and struts in earlier this year. I used Sensatrac struts and the Moog progressive rate cargo coils for earlier models like yours. This was more expensive than quick struts but not as much as performance grade components. It makes for a noticeably firmer ride but considering one of my old springs was broken and the other sagged 1-1/2" it's not really a fair comparison. A couple weeks ago I put 8 bags of salt for the water softener in the trunk and barely noticed a difference.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there any way to get the car to ride higher than stock height? I'm not really interested in lowering it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Is there any way to get the car to ride higher than stock height? I'm not really interested in lowering it.
Moog cargo springs + strut tab mod.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
loudsho92, I was planning on buying from you, I bought subframe bushings from you earlier this year. Are the Moog cargo springs that people keep mentioning the same as the Moog springs that you carry? What is the difference between the wagon springs and the sedan springs?

Thanks for the suggestions. What exactly is the strut tab for? Is it just for proper strut placement?

·
Registered
562 Posts
I believe that the sedan and wagon springs are not interchangeable at all. The strut tab mod on a sedan is basically to eliminate the thin tab that locates the strut in the spindle when the pinch bolt goes through it. Without the tab you can slide the strut up or down then clamp it tight with the pinch bolt.

As a side note, those pinch bolts can be a real bugger to get out and some people have had to drill them out after they break. Mine came out after a lot of work and rather than put them right back in I drilled out the threads and put in grade 8 bolts.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
loudsho92, I was planning on buying from you, I bought subframe bushings from you earlier this year. Are the Moog cargo springs that people keep mentioning the same as the Moog springs that you carry? What is the difference between the wagon springs and the sedan springs?

Thanks for the suggestions. What exactly is the strut tab for? Is it just for proper strut placement?
Yes the same springs.

Wagon and Sedan springs are different and will not interchange.

Yes the strut tab aligns the struts. You can slide it up if you need more height. I would install the new springs and see where you are at. New springs will bring you back up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts