Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I grabbed a nicer "Mercury" steering wheel emblem for my Sable today while at the JY. It appears to be held in by several tabs around the perimeter. I can get the old one out, but I'm not sure if I can get the tabs bent to hold the replacement one in place.

With the airbag and stuff behind it, I'm a little leery about just pushing it back in. I could just glue it on, I guess.

Anyone ever replaced one before?

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Forget about. If you are not able to reattach it to OEM specs. It's at wrap. Your better off getting a sticker or having one made to overlay the old one or paint over the old one and put a new sticker over the paint. Yes they can custom make any logo or sticker theses days. You don't want any loose metal attached to a airbag. If (heaven forbid) you or a loved one are driving and hit something at 30MPH or more the airbag will deploy and you are in big trouble if that piece of metal glued to the old Mercury sticker plastic becomes a projectile towards your face at over 200mph with 2000 pounds of force!

I have 2 mercury steering wheel logos (the aluminum with the sticker overlay) detached from both Gen 4.0 & 4.5 steering wheels so I understand the level of difficulty to replace them would require you to remove the steering wheel & your airbag and perhaps even super glueing/Jb welding the tabs in place from inside the airbag location prior to reinstalling the airbag and reinstalling the steering wheel.

Your best bet is to go the junkyard and see if it can be done at the yard before removing your steering wheel and airbag. But glueing "shrapnel" to your steering wheel is a no no. Good luck experimenting At the yard.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, I guess you're almost better off grabbing the whole steering wheel for the Gen4s if you want to replace the emblem.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
AS long as the tabs fold over, it won't be coming off. The split line on the sable and the Taurus for where the airbag blows out is not in line with the emblem.

·
Owner of #RaceSable
2,398 Posts
I did mine:

Before:

After:

I took my steering wheel off to do though, pull the negative battery cable to try and deactivate the airbags.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did mine:

Before:

After:

I took my steering wheel off to do though, pull the negative battery cable to try and deactivate the airbags.
I guess it can be done. It doesn't appear to take much to bend the tabs over.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts

That video may just specifically apply to Gen 3's (1996-1999). I was surprised myself when I went to remove a Gen 4.5 (2004-2007) & later on a Gen 4.0 steering wheel because that Gen 3 steering wheel video did not help me at all. The 4.5 requires a different pulley with "jaws" so that video lead me to buy the wrong pulley and I later figured out a way around using a pulley as long as the wheel is still on the car (by pretending I am 20 years younger and a bunch of ladies are watching.:wub:) I guess the careful use of brute force works wonders.

Anyhow the 4.0 (2000-2003) steering wheel is retained by 4 torqued nuts. If I am leaving something out someone who has did this before please feel free to correct me. Here's a picture of a Gen 4.0 steering wheel without the airbag from my for sale page. If you look closely you can see the retaining tabs in the shape of the Ford logo. This is a Ford wheel so the Mercury will be a circle behind the airbag.:pat:

Remember to disconnect the battery, stomping on the brakes and turning on your headlights to be certain that no current is in the circuits before carefully reinserting the newer emblem while praying you don't bend it is all that may be necessary. But if you aren't successful with seating the tabs grab another wheel.

BTW the same topic came up in 2008.

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/116-aesthetics-interior-wheels-tires/136734-2000-2003-steering-wheel.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
Blkfordtaurusman
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing