Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend and I have been working on this starter for a few weeks now. For what was supposed to be a simple job, we've reached an impasse.

My car is a 2001 Taurus.

We disconnected the battery, removed the wires connected to the solenoid, and then took out the two bolts connecting the starter to the car. I can't see anything else connecting the starter, and from what I've read online there is nothing else.

Problem is that we can't get the starter to budge, at all. We tug on the thing and the entire suspension moves, like there is still 5 nuts connecting the damn thing. We don't really know what to do anymore, any help?

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
Which engine, OHV or DOHC? DOHC has bolts in two places so you might have missed one.

First try banging on the starter with a big hammer where the bolts go. The vibrations might free it up.

This is a little risky, but you could also try hooking the electrical wires back up and then cranking the engine with the mounting bolts removed. Hopefully it will fall off under it own torque. When you do this make sure the electrical terminals are covered so they won't touch the body when the starter falls off, and also only do very brief starter taps with the key until it comes loose (extended cranking may cause damage if the starter gets caught). If the starter gets wedged sideways at all, stop immediately since it can mess up your flex plate teeth.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I am not sure which engine. It is the engine in which the bolts connect horizontally.

We took 2 bolts out of it though.
How should I hit it with the hammer? Towards the passenger side?

Sorry if my questions are pretty basic, this is my first time working on a car. I read that the starter job on my Taurus was easy so I figured I would try doing it myself and save some money.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I am not sure which engine. It is the engine in which the bolts connect horizontally.

We took 2 bolts out of it though.
How should I hit it with the hammer? Towards the passenger side?
Just smacking it in any direction at all should cause enough shock to break any rust free. From what it sounds like, you have either missed a bolt or two, or there is another underlying problem that needs to be fixed. What is the reasoning for starter R&R in the first place?

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
If the two bolts are going the same direction sounds like the OHV vulcan engine. So those two should be it.

Yes, tapping any direction is fine. It's the vibrations that count.

Was the engine free to crank before you started the repairs?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just smacking it in any direction at all should cause enough shock to break any rust free. From what it sounds like, you have either missed a bolt or two, or there is another underlying problem that needs to be fixed. What is the reasoning for starter R&R in the first place?
Car won't crank.

Had progressively worsening problems when trying to crank hot.
Eventually got to the point where it wouldn't crank at all (luckily while it was parked in my lot).

Now when I turn the key, I get nothing out of it. No response at all.
The battery is 6 months old and the lights and everything work full strength so we figured it wasn't that. The plan was to take the starter off and take it to AutoZone to get it tested.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I had an oil leak ruin my starter... The shop said it was the first Taurus they had ever seen with a main seal leak.

If you have access to a DMM or something similar, check your battery voltage.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Oil leaks onto the Vulcan starter is common. Happens ever time the oil is changed or the valve covers weep. Replaced a friend's 02 Vulcan starter because of this.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,011 Posts
I had an oil leak ruin my starter... The shop said it was the first Taurus they had ever seen with a main seal leak.

If you have access to a DMM or something similar, check your battery voltage.

Pretty sure mine has one as well. :unsure::(

·
Registered
85 Posts
Oil leaks onto the Vulcan starter is common. Happens ever time the oil is changed or the valve covers weep. Replaced a friend's 02 Vulcan starter because of this.
This is precisely why I only bought my new starter from a local parts store and I made sure it had a lifetime warranty.

Get a cheap rebuild and odds are you will be replacing it again in short order.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is the alignment pin supposed to be removed before removing the starter?
I really don't get this thing.

I've wedged a screwdriver in between the flap of metal that runs between the alignment pin and the bottom bolt in the hopes that I could pry it off.

The result? The metal literally tore right down the middle. I just don't see how this thing is ever coming off.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The starter should pop right off with the pin in place.

wrong vid, give me a sec

I swear there was a 1aauto video on youtube that I cannot find now.

Either way it is not a complicated job in the least, are you sure you removed the 2 proper bolts?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well it aint, lol.

I've seen the video with the guy replacing the starter on the blue taurus. It looks like it's the only Taurus starter video on youtube.
I was in awe watching his starter come out.
I did all the same preliminary steps as him but mine isn't budging.

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,753 Posts
Doesn't sound as if you rapped it with a hammer yet. I don't see where you told us what engine you have, so we can tell you if you missed anything. If you want help when you ask for it, please answer the questions we ask you - we ask to help give you some direction. If you don't know which engine it is, take a photo of the engine under the hood and/or post the eighth character of the VIN. It's a letter which identifies the engine. I do know the Vulcan OHV engine's letter code is U, for example.

Shoot penetrating oil, or better yet a half-and-half mix of ATF and acetone, around the top of where the starter meets the block and let it seep in and loosen any rust. Get a few rags and REALLY clean the entire mating faces of the block and starter; make sure there isn't a mound of oil-soaked dirt hiding a bolt or two.

Don't use any more prying tools. They damage stuff.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I cant imagine a reasonable explanation for a starter stuck to the engine unless the application was originally wrong and the alignment pin was too large and it got wrenched on anyway.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
There are only two bolts that hold the starter on for a Vulcan motor if that's it.

TELL US WHAT VIN YOU HAVE FOR YOUR MOTOR: U, 1, 2, or S , 8th digit.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Ok cool, thank you.

Put that detail in your "drives" section of your profile for future reference.

Seriously, once you have the wires off of the starter, there are only two bolts that hold it on.

BOth bolts run lengthwise in the engine bay, they attach threw the transmission lip. I attacked them both from above...it's a 13mm bolt IIRC. Same with the lower one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I took two bolts off of it but one I accessed from the bottom. In fact, from underneath seems to be the only way to get to it. Could it have been the wrong bolt?
From what I remember one was a 13mm and one was a 15mm

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,753 Posts
Whoa, 15mm doesn't sound right. I only went after my starter once, and there were two 13mm bolts holding it on as I remember. But, then again, mine's a '90. Can't say whether that would help you or not. Sorry ~

1 - 20 of 45 Posts