Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CAN ANYONE ADVISE ME ON REPLACING REAR WINDOW ON 99 TAURUS STATION WAGON?
The window is 'heated, tinted and has a wiper.'

SPECIAL TOOLS REQUIRED? WIERD THINGS TO TAKE APART?
I DON'T want to break anything!

I've looked for info on DIY sites, Youtube and even wikipedia, which is where i found this site
but, have not had any luck getting info on this subject.

This is for my daughter's car. The rear window, inexplicably blew out two days after purchasing it.

NO insurance to cover, so i'm checking out recyclers for the new window, and need to know if there
is ANYTHING SPECIAL I NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THIS JOB.

"Would appreciate your earliest replies to this post, as it's starting to get cold in this neighborhood!!

Thanks for your time and advice in advance.
RoadDawg52

·
Registered
152 Posts
I had to replace the rear tailgate window on my old '96 Sable wagon one time when I was stupid enough to bring it into the shop from -40 cold. The overhead shop heater was going full blast and was blowing right on the tailgate glass. A few minutes later I heard a small explosion and when I ran out, the glass was in thousands of pieces all over the car and floor.

Found another one at the junk yard for just $50. Took it off myself with just wrenches and a flat screwdriver and those were the only tools I needed to replace it with. You may have to search around to find a tinted one or you can have it tinted before you install it. The one I got for $50 was clear. The junk yard wanted $25 more for a tinted one but since I didn't have any tinted windows, I took the clear one.

Remove the glass from the junk yard car leaving the top hinges intact on the glass. Just the two bolts where it attaches to the roof of the car and the two struts as well as the wiper motor power connector and defroster plug is all you need to remove. This makes it easier to replace it on your car without having to worry about overtightening the bolts attaching the hinge to the glass and breaking it. The struts will pop off easily by prying them with a screwdriver from the body. If they are good struts, just leave them on the glass. You will have to pop off the wiper motor cover to remove the power connection. I would just leave the wiper motor attached and just take the whole glass in one piece with hinges, struts and wiper motor attached. It makes it all easier to install it to the car.

Just watch that you don't break off the little metal tab the defroster wire connects to as sometimes the connection will corrode and break the tab off when you remove it. It's a bitch to glue that back on with conductive glue.

Just put the glass on with the bolts a little loose so you can align it. Once it's aligned, tighten the bolts up. Then just pop in the struts and connect the wiring.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Think "billygees" pretty much got it covered, but never had to replace mine. If getting a replacement from the bone yard, grab the other stuff if possible and best to just snip the defroster wire's and deal with the plug later. Dont know if you've ever priced replacement cost's of the lift strut's on these wagon's, but those little rear window job's are the most expensive. Funny about rear glass. I had an 87' Old's Toronado in the attached garage on a moderate winter day, and blew out when I closed the drivers door. Haven't a clue of why, but guess stuff happen's.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
Borbet225
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing